A Hudson – Got To Leave This Place (SC VC?)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

A Hudson – Got To Leave This Place (SC VC?)

Postby supersonics » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:15 pm

Got this on JA (Tuff Gong) label and noticed (SC VC) etched beside the matrix number, anyone know what it stands for? I haven’t got a clue myself, something to do with the pressing plant/distributors perhaps?
supersonics

Postby Ska Nick » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:53 pm

Hey Super, I notice Bunny's "Life Line" has SC at the end of the matrix also, not sure what it stands for though!
VC I would think stands for Vincent Chin!
Never seen this on Tuff Gong, only mis credited Solomonic.
Does yours credit Don Hutchingson and have "Searching For Love version" on the flip too??

Nick
Ska Nick

Postby Ska Nick » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 pm

Oh I see now, your copy must credit A Hudson!
Ska Nick

Postby Dave Home » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:59 am

I'm guessing that the the SC stands for 'Skill' Cole (Alan 'Skill' Cole) who was very close to Bob Marley at the time.
Dave Home

Postby supersonics » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:39 am

Many thanks for the details Nick & Dave. I would never have guessed (VC) stands for Vincent Chin & (SC) for Skill Cole. My copy does have Bunny Wailer’s ‘Searching For Love’ version on the flip (Solomonic) imprint & what a great dub it is too. I believe the correct title is ‘Must Skank’. By the way, speaking of A Cole, he’s also credited as producer on Leroy Smart’s ‘Pride & Ambition’ on JA (Tuff Gong) label, but it’s a Gussie production isn’t it? Here is a picture scan of A Hudson's 'Got To Leave This Place' on JA (Tuff Gong):

supersonics

Postby Dave Home » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Super - Although 'Pride and Ambition' on Tuff Gong has 'Produced by A.Cole' on the label, it has a Gussie matrix and I've always thought of it as a Gussie production.
Apparently, 'Pride and Ambition' was also released at the time on Gussie (JA) but I don't know if it was pressed from the same stamper as the Tuff Gong release. Dave Hendley did a really nice article on Leroy Smart in Blues & Soul in about '77, that had a Leroy Smart chart listing all his crucial releases up to that time. I seem to remember both the Tuff Gong & Gussie releases of 'P&A' being in the chart, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe Dave (or somebody else) can confirm if the releases were different ?
Dave Home

Postby supersonics » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi Dave, The Gussie matrix certainly clears things up with ‘Pride & Ambition’ on JA (Tuff Gong), many thanks. I also thought ‘Pride & Ambition’ as a Gussie production too, I only have the UK (Dub Vendor) disco, no version but you do get the Jah Youth piece, yippy! I’ve never got my hands on the (Tuff Gong) single, impossible to find in any condition. Also, I never knew ‘Pride & Ambition’ existed on JA (Gussie), never seen a copy surface anywhere. I’m interested to know if someone has a copy on JA (Gussie) & if it’s the same as the (Tuff Gong) release. By the way, do you know why the (Tuff Gong) releases credit A Cole as producer i.e (Got To Leave This Place/Pride & Ambition), did he actually produce records, any ideas? Thanks again Dave.
supersonics

Re: A Hudson – Got To Leave This Place (SC VC?)

Postby Dave Home » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 am

Hi
I think Allan 'Skill' Cole was manager/associate of the Wailers at the time.
Apologies for the delay in replying :)
Dave Home

Postby RB » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 pm

this does exist on tuff gong w/ the correct version, right?

feel like i haven't seen one in years.

the orthodox press which is actually IMO the hardest to find orthodox single, has a nice version side. not sure if the same as the tuff gong one tho...if anyone has this on tuff gong w/ correct version side, and wants to sell or trade, contact me!
RB

Postby formula » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

not sure if there's a tuff gong release actually playing the version, but the version called 'dynamite hudson' on the ashandan repress
(by the title, the one supposed to play on the tuff gong release) is the same as the orthodox press. there's different mixes on the IMF
label (tune is renamed Don Hutchinson 'What You Gonna Do') and on uk blank pre release
formula

Return to General discussion