Who shot the sheriff?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Who shot the sheriff?

Postby rasadam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:12 am

Vivien Goldman wrote:

The trailer for the October 12 premiere Netflix Reggae Star Bob Marley... disclosure, I am in it alongside friends like Wayne Jobson Nancy Burke aka Inansi ..I wrote about this pivotal period in my "The Book of Exodus" in 2006,as did Marlon James fictionally in his 2014 A Brief History of 7 Killings. Producer Bill Wheeler a political journalist himself, was passionate about accuracy and having been involved with various Marley documentaries, Who Shot the Sheriff comes closest to waving away the politrickal gunsmoke, so we can see a picture that may forever waver
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbRamkuMUHI[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbRamkuMUHI
rasadam

Re: Does anyone care Who shot the deputy?

Postby jb welda » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 am

How about a good bio on Dennis Brown?

one love
jb
jb welda

Re: Who shot the sheriff?

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:33 am

Good question!

While I have the utmost respect for Bob Marley's achievements, there are / were many other great reggae artists. To be honest, apart for a couple of songs such as Waiting in Vain and One Drop, BMWs music wasn't played that much in "black" parties and clubs back in the day. It was seen a being too commercial by many. However, I listened to a lot of their music at home.

On the other hand, Dennis Brown was played a lot in parties, clubs and dancehalls, and he managed to maintain this following despite a couple of commercial / international hits: (Money in My Pocket and Love Has Found its Way).
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

during my stay in kingston last february i obviously went to the dub club above kingston as well. as dennis brown and bob marley both were born in february, there was birthday special night for each singer. one night dennis brown selection only and a week later bob marley selection only. i mean, i enjoyed both nights and there are so many quality tunes (and mixes, dubs etc.) by both artists but i had to go up there a third time to enjoy a more versatile selection :D all three nights pure vibes and niceness though.
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Kingston, Surrey?
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:58 pm

no, st. andrew :D
capullo

Return to General discussion