Dry & Heavy dub version

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dry & Heavy dub version

Postby Mr Walker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's good to be back on this board.

This is two minutes of the dub to Burning Spear's 'Dry & Heavy': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcF_V0tLbck&t=55s, recorded from a DBC (Dread Broadcasting Corporation) show in 1981 and digitised from a very tired 36 year-old TDK cassette.

It's about time I got hold of a better copy of this! I've gone through Mr Spear's discography and can I find it? No.

Can anyone tell me was this released as a 12" or where/if it was released? If anyone knows where I can get a better copy, please let me know.

Hey Mr Walker
I like your daughter
I used to tell her
That I'm JB Welda
That was a lie, sah
I'm just a middle-aged white bloke who's crazy about 1970s/80s reggae and dub.

Thanks
Mr Walker

Re: Dry & Heavy dub version

Postby ice » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm

all I can offer is 4:51 min long version of "Dry and Heavy". At this length, it's considerably longer than the album release. And although I have no idea where I got this take from, I'm pretty sure it's from the same source as yours; those 2 min you linked to sound like were spliced off "my" 4:51 version.
ice

Re: Dry & Heavy dub version

Postby Mr Walker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Right, I can shed a bit more light on this...

The tune I uploaded 2 minutes of in my earlier post is the B side of a 7" on Spear Records:

Format 7 Inch Vinyl
Artist Burning Spear
Title School Days
Artist B Burning Spear
Title B Dry And Heavy (School Days Version!)
Style(s) Reggae
Label Spear
Producer W.Rodney

... So its proper title is Dry And Heavy (School Days Version!) and that's the tune I'm after.

I confirmed by listening to a copy on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvIiqoykZi4 which is even worse than mine! The B Side begins at 3:21.
The 7" sells for around £50 - when it comes up for sale, that is. I'm happy to pay that for a good condition recording. If anyone has a better copy in any format, please get in touch
Mr Walker

Return to General discussion