B&F BOARD, would you like to contribute? PLEASE VOTE

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Would you be willing to contribute to the survival of B&F message board?

I'll be happy to pay a yearly fee between £5-£10
46%
I'll be happy to pay a yearly fee between £10-£20
35%
I'll be happy to contribute a one time sum between £25-£50
11%
I'll be happy to contribute a one time sum between £50-£100
3%
None of the above
5%

Total votes : 37

Re: B&F BOARD CLOSURE, would you like to contribute? PLEASE

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 am

It would be a good idea if this thread could be pinned to the top of the board so it doesn't slip below the radar.
drwatts53

Postby buzzlulu » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 am

Well
Do you know how much the charges will be to keep this afloat? I think we need to get moving.

It would be a shame to allow this to cease to exist. Even if there is not much activity simply to be able to have this place online and running so as to be able use the search function and have access to the valuable wealth of information stored on these pages.

Even if it is only a few of us contributing as long as the costs are not exorbitant it seems crazy to shut it down.

I previously stated a 3 month trial for newbies prior to contributing as a way forward for new members.
In the same way perhaps an annual contribution to enable the search function could be a way to get members to join.
buzzlulu

Postby Marvin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Ideally I would prefer to see the board remain as a reference tool, no fresh input. As I think JB and RG among others have rightly stated the ramblings are just down right annoying and pathetic. The good times have long since past and all good things come to an end which in my opinion was a very long time ago.

Just my two bobs worth.
Marvin

Postby jb welda » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Buzzlulu has it exactly right. There is little to be gained by flying off the handle at people who want to help, and his/her suggestion for a three month trial is a good one in my mind. I would think this would be a time of unity, not divisiveness. And I do not want to contribute to a stagnant "resource", any contribution from me would have to support a board that is alive with at least a few knowledgeable and participating members, even if the topics are sometimes ridiculous...there is still a lot to be learned and shared from those with the knowledge.

Basically I think it needs to be stated how much and when and then let the massive do the rest. No salaries, no employees, just money to keep the entity going, volunteers for such staffing as might be necessary, and no obligation to contributors to have to pay to participate. But I am certainly open to ideas as to how to keep it moving day to day. I just know that throwing down the equivalent of 2 - 5 dollars (or whatever) per month is not going to break anyone here, not when most are spending way over that on a music budget anyway, which i suspect most of us are.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Novice » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 pm

I guess if posts are just going to be removed at will it doesn't really matter what it cost to keep the board going, the price is too high. This is the wake, the funeral soon come.

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:48 am

If you are digging a grave, don't dig one, dig two.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby B&F Moderator » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:36 am

jb welda wrote:Basically I think it needs to be stated how much and when and then let the massive do the rest.

I'll say it again - i have no idea.

I don't have any connection with the people who pay the bills.

When former moderator Cheyenne left (2011) i just replaced him. I'm an old time baffer & have no idea about the technical side of running this place or what are the costs. I created this poll in order to understand how many people are interested & willing to pay something to keep this forum alive. I think this place carry a crucial reggae database, it will be a sad day when everything is gone. Guess the running costs shouldn't be too much for such a simple platform so even with 30 people (who voted so far) it wouldn't cost a lot per person.

Seems that the only person from B&F crew which still has some interest in this forum is Dom. Hope he could chime in soon.
B&F Moderator

Postby drwatts53 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 am

Someone who's friends with Dom on FB could message him about this https://www.facebook.com/domsotgiu .
drwatts53

Postby Apostle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:44 am

I wouldn't mind to pay a small contribution every year, it would certainly be sad if all this info isn't available anymore, or only to a few.
At the other hand I think the website could use an update and new functionalities, like a photoblog and reports of dances and concerts... Indeed the last few years there has been very little activity and threads rarely get a lot of response. If things just remain the way they are I doubt people will keep contributing financially, just for old time's sake...
Apostle

Postby itsmeagain » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:If "Me" was charged by the word no one else would have to contribute!

Nowt wrong with that Rankin G.
itsmeagain

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Careful, you might get censored.
Ranking Glasses

Postby johnnyB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:45 am

So are we basically just waiting for the thing to shut down?
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:38 pm

No one here gets out alive.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Animist Roots » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Up.

It seems like the economical factor will be solved, only with 30 contributors.
Let's wait for the connection with the ancient powers 8)
Animist Roots

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion