Fi We Rock Riddim

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Fi We Rock Riddim

Postby Svadde3000 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Anybody who knows which the first tune on the "Fi We Rock Riddim" is?
Svadde3000

Re: Fi We Rock Riddim

Postby lankou » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:51 pm

I'd tend to say Delano Stewart 's Dance With Me (a Sonia Pottinger production from 1968). though the melody is borrowed from a US standard.
Most famous is "Rock With Me Baby" - Johnny Clarke & Aggrovators, for Bunny Lee. (1975)
lankou

Postby Svadde3000 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Ok, thanks a lot ! I was thinking so myself, but I have a 7 inch called "Hi Jack" by Jackie Mitto which really sounds like that riddim, but maybe that one is a later tune or maybe it's not even the same riddim
( according to the studio one riddim directory book it's not).
Svadde3000

Postby BeePIe2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm

I do like this one. The Delano Stewart was a fairly recent discovery for me. It's currently available on CD on "Dancing Down Orange Street" [Doctor Bird Records - Cherry Red Records [2017] DBCD-04]. I haven't bumped into a version or dub yet though but I presume Errol Brown will have played with the tape at some point or other.

The only other track before the Johnny Clarke I have is ??? the riddim but I just listened again and get why I put on the list. Rico & The Rudies with "Nyah Serenade (aka Brixton Serenade)". I assume a UK 1970ish release (Big Shot 594?), typical organ led instrumental with horns over the top. [just listened to the Jackie Mittoo - Hi Jack (aka High Jack) and it's the same kind of riddim relation]

Dancehall style Raymond Naptali - Me No Copy (prod. Fatman, 1982)

There's a Jammy digi (I have the track Junior Reid "Swinging My Love") and a Fatis one (Sanchez - Baby Can I Hold You Tight). Which I assume have loads of other cuts.

Delano Stewart recut it for Yabby (based on the dub with vocal "Rock With Me Dub" on BAF's "Dub It To The Top").

Other than that it's all Bunny Lee for my CDs,

Johnny Clarke - Rock With Me Baby
John Holt - Rock With Me Baby (vocal/dub discomix)
Cornel Campbell - It's Grooving Time
Ronnie Davis - Swinging My Love

Jah Stitch - Dummley Shuffle
U Roy - Rock With I (over JC)
I Roy - The Godfather
I Roy - Them Can't Conquer Rasta (over ?) (annoying whistle over start)

King Tubby & The Aggrovators - A Crabit Version (JC vocal)
The Revolutionaries - Swinging My Dub (no vocal but is the Ronnie Davis pair. Prod. Ossie Hibbert)
King Tubby & The Aggrovators - Rocking Dub (no vocal)
King Tubby & The Aggrovators feat. Tommy McCook - Dance With Me (no vocal. sax cut)
Jackie Mittoo - Jumping Jack (no vocal. organ cut) (there's a less dubby mix with same title on ATTACK CD010)
Prince Jammy feat. Chinna Smith - Swinging Shuffle (no vocal. guitar cut)
The Aggrovators - Grooving Dub (CC vocal)
Prince Jammy & The Aggrovators - Them Can't Conquer Rasta Dub (? vocal, pair with I Roy).

I think all of those dubs have been released under multiple titles but as best as I can those should be the original LP/CD release ones.
BeePIe2

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Nerious Joseph & Winsome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncpCdIjrKOM

A big hit in the UK.
Ranking Glasses

Return to General discussion