Reggae laserdiscs

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Reggae laserdiscs

Postby John Eden » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Come on, own up - at least one of you must have one of these bad boys:
https://www.discogs.com/search/?format_ ... act=Reggae
John Eden

Re: Reggae laserdiscs

Postby John Eden » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Amazingly this seems to have come out on both Betamax and Laserdisc:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Best-Of ... se/5293276
John Eden

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm

We'll be saying the same about CDs soon!
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Or dvds or blueray, or any physical media format except precious old vinyl presumably?
Reggie Love

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Sarcastic comments about vinyl to one side, there was an interesting item on BBC news today about the Official Charts. For the first time they will be taking streaming of music videos on YouTube into account because this is how many people prefer to listen to music / watch music videos these days. However 600 hits will be the equivalent of 1 sale so as not to skew the Charts with random songs which have gone viral.

I have been listening to my music on YouTube for years because it has most tunes, is a great way to discover new tunes, and it's free.

Back to "precious vinyl"; vinyl is king just like cash is king. When the internet goes down, and you're using your CDs as beer mats, vinyl will still be there to fall back on just like the other day when VISA went down and people went back to using cash.
Ranking Glasses

Postby ReggaeFire » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote: vinyl is king just like cash is king. When the internet goes down, and you're using your CDs as beer mats, vinyl will still be there to fall back on just like the other day when VISA went down and people went back to using cash.

Huh? Why would CDs turn into coasters if the internet goes down? I mean, sure if a neutron bomb went off and killed all electronics, I suppose it's theoretically possible to listen to vinyl if you fashioned a handmade system (In fact back in the recess of my memory I remember a post-apocalyptic sci-fi book which featured someone fashioning a stylus from a cactus needle), but realistically vinyl is going to be as worthless as CDs in that scenario.
ReggaeFire

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Cassette tapes came and went - Vinyl is still here
Laser discs came and went - Vinyl is still here
DAT tapes flopped - Vinyl is still here
CDs are in decline - Vinyl is still here
Paid downloads are in decline - Vinyl is still here.
This Board will go soon - Vinyl will still be here.

At the end of the day most people would prefer the original copy of a classic tune on vinyl than these dibi dibi formats which come and go. It's why so many new mainstream songs are also being released on vinyl and the demand for vinyl is increasing more than anyone expected.

That's what I mean by Vinyl is King.

End of.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:11 pm

It’s never end of till we all agree it is.
To compare laser discs with CDs in the first place was ridiculous.
Reggie Love

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Unless they're cutting direct to disc, recording studios use some other medium - tape, or nowadays digital files - to make the master recording.That ain't going to go away either. At the end of the day, it's the music that matters.
drwatts53

Postby Novice » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Vinyl was barely still here...it was on it's way out too, a bunch of new bloods got into it, because I suppose they were somehow duped to believe "real" music fans listen to it on THAT format, so it's had a resurgence which I will hazard to say will be as temporal as the rest of your dead formats. This hardly makes vinyl "king," it makes it circumstantially hanging on for as long as the whims of the latest generation decides it should.

You think you and your niche reggae and old music heads have been keeping vinyl alive?

You know what else was king...white athletes that held records before/while black athletes were allowed to play the sport. So you know...

Also, I like how you take a format that hasn't GONE, ie CD's and just decide to change the parameters of your post for that format and say "are in decline." Like I said, vinyl was in decline a few years ago but that apparent similarity to CD's doesn't matter. Your logic is downright atrocious at time Ranks.

Apart from Reggae and other smaller genres, I'm going to guess that you can find more releases of music on CD over VINYL so I'm not sure how that makes it king aside from in your mind.

If anything, digital/streaming/etc seems to be King and it's quite a racket...shitty sounding music listened to by the masses who are vaguely paying attention so the sound quality is a moot point but then they go to a concert and hear actual speakers and equipment and hopefully proper sound and can't believe HOW GOOD this band or that band was. Basically, I'm going to feed you hyena turd **** kebabs for an extended period of time and then take you out for pizza, and believe me it will taste like the most glorious dish.

-Me-
Novice

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:29 pm

I'd like one of these (45s or CDs, which would give you more music), especially since you can add extra speakers to beef up the sound: https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/comme ... .html?utm_ .

Note that it's the only vinyl jukebox being manufactured anywhere in the world.
drwatts53

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:CDs are in decline - Vinyl is still here

CDs may be in decline, but for example in the US in 2016 (latest statistic I could find) there were 99 million CDs sold and 13.1 million "vinyl albums".
99thfloor

Postby John Eden » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:28 am

Apparently one of the main things keeping CDs afloat is car stereos. That won’t last.

But people won’t replace CD players in cars with turntables.

The future is dematerialised music.
John Eden

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 pm

If classic original reggae tunes weren't so expensive and hard to find on vinyl many people wouldn't bother with CDs and downloads.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 pm

capullo

Next

Return to General discussion