Studio One Bongo Man Collection coming on CD

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Studio One Bongo Man Collection coming on CD

Postby drwatts53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/var ... collection . More vinyl seems doubtful at this stage.
Last edited by drwatts53 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Re: Studio One Bongo Man Collection coming on CD

Postby jb welda » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Vinyl is listed right there next to the CD.

I got the vinyl a few weeks ago, good set and kool vinyl. I actually downloaded a wav copy with the free download that came with the records, haven't played the actual record at all.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Vinyl is listed right there next to the CD.

Yes, but it's still out of stock after Record Store Day, and I don't suppose the vinyl will be repressed soon.
Last edited by drwatts53 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Postby jb welda » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Oh yes. I see what you mean.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby minidub » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 am

plenty of vinyl copies for sale elsewhere though.

m.
minidub

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:55 am

The vinyl is available in the Studio 1 store: http://studio-one.11spot.com/natural-hi ... ction.html

There was a mailout that said these were a few remaining stock of the RSD pressing.
99thfloor

Postby drwatts53 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 am

To avoid talking at cross-purposes, my comment about the vinyl referred to the UK, where it was/is very difficult to get hold of, short of ordering from the US and paying through the nose for shipping and customs.
drwatts53

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm

I don't order from the US anymore, for those reasons, but I was mostly pointing out that the vinyl isn't completely sold out at the source, and also that what there is is the original pressing and it has not been repressed along with the release of the CD.
Last edited by 99thfloor on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
99thfloor

Postby Dubba » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 pm

drwatts53 wrote:To avoid talking at cross-purposes, my comment about the vinyl referred to the UK, where it was/is very difficult to get hold of, short of ordering from the US and paying through the nose for shipping and customs.

I ordered from a retailer in the US, who without any prompting from me did me a little favour in terms of avoiding customs fees so got mine delivered from the US at a good price. Drop me a pm if you want details as don’t want to potentially get somebody in trouble over the main forum. You never know where the tax man might be lurking :?
Dubba

Postby jb welda » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 pm

One thing about the vinyl set that I have not heard any comment on so far is that the fourth side, containing the skylarking/crabwalking mix, is pressed at 45 rpm while all the rest of the set, sides one through three, is 33 rpm. I recall at one time a debate here about whether that was physically possible to do, to have a 45 rpm side and a 33 rpm side on the same record, and I think I recall some otherwise logical people swearing up and down it was impossible to do. Don't really know why that was thought so strongly, but here is proof of concept, right here. Also its a pretty good mix and in fact my favorite tracks on this set are from Prince Jazzbo, Crabwalking being one of them.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 am

Did anybody get a vinyl copy with two of the same sides inside the sleeves?. This was a manufacturing error .

The Bongo Man CD has been available for a few weeks now in the USA.

Would there really be any sound difference between the Vinyl and CD of this Bongo Man compilation?
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby 99thfloor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 am

jah_vaults wrote:Would there really be any sound difference between the Vinyl and CD of this Bongo Man compilation?

Yeah, with the CD you won't get any surface noice (sorry, couldn't resist). 8)
99thfloor

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

I picked up the vinyl version from Rough Trade here in London a couple of days ago. I had signed up to an alert email if any copies came in after Record Store Day.

It's a great set all round , highlights for me are having a next cut of Jackie Bernard's brilliant, Jah Jah Way; Burn Collie and the version; and the version of Leroy Wallace's Far Beyond. Agree with JB that Jazzbo is on top form on his cuts too.
Reggie Love

Postby Dubba » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Dr Watts, pm sent!
Dubba

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:40 pm

99thfloor wrote:
jah_vaults wrote:Would there really be any sound difference between the Vinyl and CD of this Bongo Man compilation?

Yeah, with the CD you won't get any surface noice (sorry, couldn't resist). 8)

Would be good to have both copies of the released vinyl also the released CD to do a true sound comparison regarding true sound quality of both of the same albums.

Maybe the CD is mastered better. Or maybe the vinyl is mastered better. Or even maybe the mastering is exactly the same on both vinyl & CD.

Enough said for now

Bless
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Next

Return to General discussion