Studio One Bongo Man Collection coming on CD

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Studio One Bongo Man Collection coming on CD

Postby 99thfloor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 pm

jah_vaults wrote:Would be good to have both copies of the released vinyl also the released CD to do a true sound comparison regarding true sound quality of both of the same albums.

Maybe the CD is mastered better. Or maybe the vinyl is mastered better. Or even maybe the mastering is exactly the same on both vinyl & CD.

I was just joking around, since this place is so vinyl centric.

It has become more common with Pop/Rock releases of the same title where the mastering is intentionally different, with the CD having the usual modern loud/compressed mastering but the LP is a more dynamic mastering aimed more at audiophiles. But I don't think any Reggae reissue labels work that way, at least I haven't heard any such examples, CD/digital and vinyl releases seem to stem from the same masterings, meaning they have the same EQ, amount of compression etc.
99thfloor

Postby drwatts53 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 am

Dubba wrote:Dr Watts, pm sent!

PM received and replied to, thanks! Over and out.
drwatts53

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am

Ranking Glasses

Postby Chaz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 am

Dubba wrote:
drwatts53 wrote:To avoid talking at cross-purposes, my comment about the vinyl referred to the UK, where it was/is very difficult to get hold of, short of ordering from the US and paying through the nose for shipping and customs.

I ordered from a retailer in the US, who without any prompting from me did me a little favour in terms of avoiding customs fees so got mine delivered from the US at a good price. Drop me a pm if you want details as don’t want to potentially get somebody in trouble over the main forum. You never know where the tax man might be lurking :?

pm sent!
Chaz

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 am

99thfloor wrote:It has become more common with Pop/Rock releases of the same title where the mastering is intentionally different, with the CD having the usual modern loud/compressed mastering but the LP is a more dynamic mastering aimed more at audiophiles. But I don't think any Reggae reissue labels work that way, at least I haven't heard any such examples, CD/digital and vinyl releases seem to stem from the same masterings, meaning they have the same EQ, amount of compression etc.

You havent listened to TABOU1 releases!
I have my vinyl mastered specifically for vinyl, while digital versions have their own mastering.

BUT

What I do is the following

1. master the digital release
2. master the vinyl release by taking the maser for the digital release and just reducing the bass and the treble a wee bit. That is done so that the needle doesn't jump out of the grooves.

Those interested in these issues can read this article (and other in the same vein)

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... l-releases

There is no additional compression and what not on my digital masters. Additional compression is for the idiots
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Previous

Return to General discussion