Peckings release Jamrec Dubwize Studio One Coxsone Dub LP

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Peckings release Jamrec Dubwize Studio One Coxsone Dub LP

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Check this Studio One Dub Lp Peckings release. Some good old Studio One Coxsone dubs. I think these are the original dubs. Not remixes.

Anybody have any other info on this dub Lp?

Was this dub LP or some of the tracks released under another title previously by Studio One or Coxsone or on a Soul Jazz compilation or Even Yep roc.

Also what are the corresponding studio One vocal songs which match this dub LP dub for dub

Check the link and listen to the dubbed sound clips. http://www.jahwaggysrecords.com/en/bran ... leeve.html
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Re: Peckings release Jamrec Dubwize Studio One Coxsone Dub L

Postby drwatts53 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Interesting to note this on the Discogs release page (same for the generic sleeve version): "This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs." See https://www.discogs.com/Peckings-Brothe ... e/11274380 . Could it be an "unofficial" release by the Peckings Brothers, contested by YepRoc? Certainly hasn't been released by anyone else.

A1 (Recognise this, but can't put a name to the rhythm).
A2 The echo on this doesn't sound like an original Studio One mix to me, and the lead guitar work (though good) and possibly the horns don't sound vintage either. Hmm.
A3 Bassies Things Come Up to Bump originally, but sounds like a different vocal in the background (?).
A4 Abyssinians Declaration of Rights originally, but an Ernest Ranglin version?
A5 ???
B1 (Recognise it but can't place it.)
B2 Burning Spear He Prayed/Joe Frazier
B3 Burning Spear Weeping and Wailing
B4 Marcia Griffiths Hold Me Tight
B5 New Establishment/Sound Dimension Rock Forth Rock/Rock Fort Rock
B6 Skatalites Beardsman Ska
Last edited by drwatts53 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Postby guillaumebougard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 am

the artwork is absolutely horrible
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby jah_vaults » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 am

drwatts53 wrote:Interesting to note this on the Discogs release page (same for the generic sleeve version): "This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs." See https://www.discogs.com/Peckings-Brothe ... e/11274380 . Could it be an "unofficial" release by the Peckings Brothers, contested by YepRoc? Certainly hasn't been released by anyone else.

A1 (Recognise this, but can't put a name to the rhythm).
A2 The echo on this doesn't sound like an original Studio One mix to me, and the lead guitar work (though good) and possibly the horns don't sound vintage either. Hmm.
A3 Bassies Things Come Up to Bump originally, but sounds like a different vocal in the background (?).
A4 Abyssinians Declaration of Rights originally, but the Ernest Ranglin version?
A5 ???
B1 (Recognise it but can't place it.)
B5 New Establishment/Sound Dimension Rock Forth Rock/Rock Fort Rock

Give Thanks for this list. I think they are unreleased dub mixes slightly different to the dubs on previous albums maybe on which a few of the dubs have already been released here and there. There was not much mention of this so had to make a thread.

Bless
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 am

I think there's at least some mixing input from the Peckings brothers themselves (see my comment on track A2) - they're clearly responsible for the dubbing on the Treasure Isle Serial Killers dubwize set http://www.jahwaggysrecords.com/en/bran ... bwize.html .

The generic sleeve version seems to be out of stock now at several stockists, so if you want it, grab it now - if it's had an injunction slapped on it, it might never reappear.
Last edited by drwatts53 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am

A2 and B1 now identified, leaving A1 and A5.

A1 ??? (Recognise this, but can't put a name to it).
A2 Freddie McKay - A Little Bit Will Do (The echo on this doesn't sound like an original Studio One mix to me, and the lead guitar work (though good) and the solo horns don't sound vintage either.)
A4 Abyssinians Declaration of Rights originally, but with weird guitar overdub.
A5 ???
B1 (Cedric Brooks and) Sound Dimension - Less Problem.
B5 New Establishment/Sound Dimension Rock Forth Rock/Rock Fort Rock/Psychedelic Rock
drwatts53

Postby jah_vaults » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Lets hope we can identify all the dubs just 2 left now with the help of Drwatts53. Already Seems very hard to find now this LP. The Generic Sleeve LP was around £20.00 but is deleted now but you can get the printed screen sleeve which is around £40.00. Found the last copy of the generic sleeve press at blakamixshop.co.uk but is sold out now.

I think this should confirm what i was thinking theses are not new mixes but old mixes done way back when by Coxsone. Doesnt say anything about Peckings remixing the LP. Maybe somebody can email Peckings to find out about remixing?

Put it this way i think this dub Lp beats the Soul Jazz Studio One dub material and Heartbeat Studio One dub material also the Yep Roc Studio One Dub Material. I copied and pasted this off the Dubvendor website about the Jamrec Peckings Dubwize LP.

"Brand new Studio One dub album from the Peckings crew. Some killer previously unreleased dubwise mixes of classic Brentford Road tunes such as Rockfort Rock, Freddie McKay's A Little Bit Will Do, Declaration Of Rights, Joe Frasier, Less Problems, Things A Come Up To Bump and many more. Delicious!"

Enough Said

Bless
jah_vaults

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:24 pm

The use of echo often reminds me of the Sample Dub LP. But I don't know of a Studio One dub that has a rewind like you get at the start of Rock Forth Shock Dubwize​​​​​​​ (B5) here.
drwatts53

Postby Ranking Sammy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am

A1 Reuben Alexander - Meditation /// Original is also called "Meditation" by The Cyclones & Count Ossie
A4 Big Joe & Sound Dimension - Declaration Ver. (Winro 7") /// Possibly Pablove Black on the synth overdubs?
A5 Ernest Rangling & Sound Dimension - Major Walk /// There is also a dubplate cut, from which this take is possibly taken.
Ranking Sammy

Postby drwatts53 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Sammy. So now we have:

A1 Reuben Alexander - Meditation. Originally "Meditation" by The Cyclones & Count Ossie
A2 Freddie McKay - A Little Bit Will Do (the most obvious Peckings Brothers mix?)
A3 Bassies/Victors/Viceroys (?) - Things Come Up to Bump originally, but sounds like a different vocal in the background (?).
A4 Big Joe & Sound Dimension - Declaration Ver. (Winro 7"). From Abyssinians - Declaration of Rights.
A5 Ernest Ranglin & Sound Dimension - Major Walk (Sounds & Power album, but possibly from a dubplate cut.)

B1 (Cedric Brooks and) Sound Dimension - Less Problem.
B2 Burning Spear - He Prayed/Joe Frazier
B3 Burning Spear - Weeping and Wailing
B4 Marcia Griffiths - Hold Me Tight
B5 Soul Vendors - Psychedelic Rock/New Establishment - Rock Forth Rock/Sound Dimension - Rock Fort Rock
B6 Skatalites - Beardsman Ska (at least the horns - the rest is a later addition)
Last edited by drwatts53 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drwatts53

Postby skunkride » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 pm

The type of delay used on this album is clearly a digital delay so these are modern mixes done from multi track tapes.
skunkride

Postby jah_vaults » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 pm

skunkride wrote:The type of delay used on this album is clearly a digital delay so these are modern mixes done from multi track tapes.

So Maybe this is why the item is banned from sale on Discogs. I dont think Peckings said anything about mixing overdubs or other instruments or echoes on the Jamrec dubwize.

Although Peckings have mentioned the use of overdubs & echoes on the Peckings Serial Killers Lp and the Peckings Bond Street Dub mix both of which are readily available unlike the Peckings Jamrec dubwize.

Here is quote from Dubvendor website regarding the Serial killers LP confirming the tampered mixes "Fresh dubwise set from the Peckings brothers, selecting twelve classic rocksteady to reggae riddim tracks originally recorded in the last part of the sixties at Duke Reid's legendary Treasure Isle Studio, Kingston, Jamaica. Here are such classics as Alton Ellis' If I Could Rule The World and Remember That Sunday, the Techniques' Love Is Not A Gamble and Tommy McCook's 123 Kick are all wrung through the Peckings wringer to emerge as you've never heard them before."

Will have to dig deeper.

Bless
jah_vaults

Return to General discussion