Tuff Scout - Inna London Dub Vocals

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Tuff Scout - Inna London Dub Vocals

Postby Novice » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:36 am

Inadvertently stumbled on to one of the vocal cuts from this album, or at least a vocal on the same rhythm. Anyone know the rest?

A1 Seven Sisters Curfew = Al Campbell - Wise Words (Tuff Scout) (Though there is a version to the vocal on the 7" which is different mix/dub)
A2 Up Mill Lane
A3 A St-Marks Centre Special
A4 Tribute To The Groove
A5 The Marshall Of Inverness St
B1 Dub It Inaa Long Acre
B2 A W1 Serenade
B3 Archway Rub A Dub
B4 Slingshot In Shepperds Bush
B5 Southall Stepper

Thanks.

-Me-
Novice

Re: Tuff Scout - Inna London Dub Vocals

Postby minidub » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:53 am

2 - michael prophet "show some love"
3 - lou rhodes "nature's creed"
4 - electric i-mortal "honour"
5 - ramon judah "truths & rights"
6 - imaani "tear down"
7 - robert lee "battlefield"
8 - sandeeno "love jah & live"
9 - big youth "live right" (i think)
10 - robert lee "meltdown"

at least this is what i'm hearing, without checking my singles...

m.
minidub

Postby Andy G » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Been meaning to create a little showcase playlist out of this. Thanks for making it easy! I think these dubs out do the 7" version sides. Deeper denser.
Andy G

Postby Novice » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Cheers minidub!

Andy, agree, these dubs are more cavernous.

-Me-
Novice

Postby minidub » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:13 pm

your love of the LP dubs speaks to the quality of the music and production this label puts out since the version sides of these singles are still well nice compared to most tame b sides of the day...i agree with you, but still love the b sides.

m.
minidub

Postby Novice » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 am

I usually stumble on these things by happenstance or serendipitous circumstances, not sure which I often mix the two up until I think to sort it out which means what but that's what happened with the Tuff Scout stuff. Honest Jon's 100 New page is a great source for me to browse about every couple months or so. I find recommendations to be lacking in enthusiasm or passion by the person recommending it most of the time so it's hard for me to get motivated by them unless a sound sample is provided. This is partly laziness on my part especially when years later I find the same damn album being recommended by BMC on an old thread and just have to say "oh well" better late than not.

People are too pleasant with recommendations I find now a days, I miss people jamming their passionate recommendations down your throat...the sheer confusion as to how someone can like a particular tune/album that you believe to be sh*t has made me listen to the tune/album or think about to the point of sometimes actually understanding and changing my view on it. People don't always know why they do or don't like something and a little nudging can spark someone to figure it out and open more music to them I find. And on that note I'm going to start another thread.....

-Me-
Novice

Postby minidub » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:42 pm

pretty sure i am missing the point of this post, novice.
do you mean that folks had recommended tuff scout material previously, but not vociferously enough to get you to buy?

either way, i love the version sides to the singles and dig the dubs on the LP even more.
i have told everyone i know about tuff scout's music since i bought my first single (robert lee's "battlefield") and reiterate this on my radio show each time i play a tuff scout tune for the listeners.

m.
minidub

Postby Novice » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:34 pm

You're not missing anything minidub, I was just making a generalization about passions and opinions, something has happened to the way people express them, there's something disingenuous about it, bit Invasion of the Body Snatchers quality to it but much more subtle. Could be all this technology, too many eyes on you and all that, would make anyone a bit uneasy about letting out any unchaperoned emotions for fear of unintended leaks of thoughts you'd otherwise keep to yourself or to a small group. Just one theory, I could go on with a lot more but you'd probably be even less interested in those.

No one wants to think anymore it seems and I'm beginning to think the reasons aren't as complicated as I'd previously thought but might just come down to, "it takes too bloody long." Again, you can thank technology, we want it quick baby!

I've never heard your radio show, maybe you post a link to it and I check it out...we agree on Tuff Scout maybe we agree on others maybe not. I have to disagree though that my love of the LP dubs speaks to the quality of the music, my love of it is coincidental to it's quality I think and my love could often times be at odds with other general consensus opinions of things.

Let's test our compatibility. There is a song by the group Two Rasta Man called False Rumour. The tune and version was on the Pressure Sounds compilation "Life Goes In Circles - Sounds From The Talent Corporation 1974 To 1979." However, before this release, that particular tune was on a list or two of some fairly well known producer(s) as a top tune, wicked, rare etc. etc. Many years ago, one of these generous producers, who will remain anonymous by his own request, returned a favor by offering to digitize 10 tunes with their dubs of my choosing from the many lists he had. It was frustrating to pick 10 songs out of so many because Youtube wasn't as developed with virtually any song on it so I could not hear any of them before, I just had to guess based on their descriptions. I think I chose pretty good but would have done much better a few years later.

Anyway, False Rumour was one of the songs I chose. I like the song, it's grown on me but it's not my favorite by any means and quite frankly I can't understand why it's considered so great aside from it's once rarified status. However, since the first time I heard it and to this day, there is a portion in the song, perhaps it's the bridge or whatever the musical term for it would be, that I have absolutely loved and it's the only part that makes me understand why/how it could be considered so highly. This part took no growing on me and was instantly recognizable to me as superior, quite reminiscent of how early hip hop dj took the "break" in an otherwise "okay" song and knew that that was the active ingredient.

Now I don't know if the producer felt the same was as I did but I asked him once about the bridge and told him I thought it was well wicked and asked why the rest of the tune isn't like that or doesn't incorporate it more. Being fuzzy on the details but apparently this comment or observation about the bridge being the wicked part seemed to give the producer the indication that I was someone who "understood" so to say. It was a silent/subtle compliment that I took quietly and humbly, until this moment but I'm a habitual detail giver so forgive me.

The tune itself is bland, the music is bland, save for a little quirks like horn stabs here and there, the lyrics are delivered in a bland way, the hook gets tedious after a while and the tune is basically just uninteresting to be frank. That is however until minute 1:38, when apparently the singer and musicians are temporarily possessed by actual feeling and emotion and take the next 20 seconds to uplift you proper like, in a way that you never would have seen coming based on the first minute and thirty seven seconds or the rest of the tune after the one minute and fifty eight second mark.

Now I'm sure the hum drum coasting along uninspired beginning of the tune played some part in amplifying that bridge part but it stands on it's own pretty good as well I think.

Here's the tune, you tell me what you think but please don't jump to the bridge, if you have the time, check it from the beginning until the 1:38 part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHUDzZud6A

Footnote: I think the dub does better as an overall tune than the vocal, aside from the part enthusiastically championed by yours truly.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Tune In 2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Novice wrote:Footnote: I think the dub does better as an overall tune than the vocal, aside from the part enthusiastically championed by yours truly.

-Me-

Re False Rumour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2-Lxe ... xeEzVk&t=6
Tune In 2

Postby Novice » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Tune In, like I said, the dub does not suffer from it's vocal counterpart's shortcomings. It's not a wild dub or anything but has a nice steady punchy vibe to it and the vocal snippets from the hook/chorus even serve it well. I do think the producer or engineer missed an opportunity to bring in the vocal snippets from the bridge into the dub which I think would have really pricked up some ears.

-Me-
Novice

Return to General discussion