Record Shops Past & Present

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Record Shops Past & Present

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:58 pm

drwatts53 wrote:@ Livingbate
Reggae Revive was (in one of its incarnations) in Chamberlayne Rd in Kensal Rise. I wonder what Bob Brooks is doing now.

Does it match the description?

I was told it was owned by Phil Etcot?
Living Bate

Postby DJ Conscious » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Music Temple, Brixton. Best roots shop ever for me. I was greatly saddened by its demise. Big up to Simon!
DJ Conscious

Postby itsmeagain » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Murray's music city,
Manchester.
itsmeagain

Postby minidub » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:17 pm

2nd avenue records - portland oregon usa.

it was via this shop that my partner & i built the foundation of our collection.
of course, ernie b's soon came to build the bulk of it, but talk about feelings of love & respect for a record shop!
2nd avenue used to let us come in right after they closed so we could shop and buy in comfort (their first location was a claustrophobically small store).
we'd have the place to ourselves, but they knew we'd be dropping big dollars, so it was a win-win (as they say) for all involved.

they always stock serious twinkle brothers stuff, and in fact one of the employees hooked us up with a twinkle brothers live show from early to mid '80s at the starry night venue.
it was from the sound board and a seriously awesome set.
gave a copy of that to the one jah bill; it's just a good time story all around.

even though i can source material cheaper, i still try and make it inside the shop a couple times a year just to suppport.
they're always surprised and say "don't you have everything already?!"

big up 2nd avenue records in portland oregon!

m.
minidub

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:05 pm

minidub wrote:2nd avenue records - portland oregon usa.

it was via this shop that my partner & i built the foundation of our collection.
of course, ernie b's soon came to build the bulk of it, but talk about feelings of love & respect for a record shop!
2nd avenue used to let us come in right after they closed so we could shop and buy in comfort (their first location was a claustrophobically small store).
we'd have the place to ourselves, but they knew we'd be dropping big dollars, so it was a win-win (as they say) for all involved.

they always stock serious twinkle brothers stuff, and in fact one of the employees hooked us up with a twinkle brothers live show from early to mid '80s at the starry night venue.
it was from the sound board and a seriously awesome set.
gave a copy of that to the one jah bill; it's just a good time story all around.

even though i can source material cheaper, i still try and make it inside the shop a couple times a year just to suppport.
they're always surprised and say "don't you have everything already?!"

big up 2nd avenue records in portland oregon!

m.

nice to read BIG BLESS
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Tune In 2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Third World Record (Circa 1977) - Stoke Newington, London N16
Used to be run by Count Shelly along with Sir Dee's
later moved to moved to Tottenham where they had a massive shop,
Then changed the name to Every bodies Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1njBVQCdlRM
which went under new management, then to Body Music and is still there to this very day, although the shop
is much smaller
Tune In 2

Postby morevest » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 am

Eldica Records - Dalston
morevest

Postby Gimialight » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 am

Flash Forward (Camden)
Gimialight

Postby John Eden » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 am

Two big London ones for me that haven't been mentioned yet:

Wax Unlimited (Stoke Newington)
Ancient Black (Caledonian Road)
John Eden

Postby Tune In 2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:35 am

John Eden wrote:Two big London ones for me that haven't been mentioned yet:

Wax Unlimited (Stoke Newington)
Ancient Black (Caledonian Road)

What ever happen to Ancient Black ?
it was not there for very long but had a vast amount of tunes but you had to spend at least a week digging through all the tunes he had in the basement, i pass the old shop most days, the sign is still there but he's long gone :(
Tune In 2

Postby John Eden » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Tune In 2 wrote:
What ever happen to Ancient Black ?
it was not there for very long but had a vast amount of tunes but you had to spend at least a week digging through all the tunes he had in the basement, i pass the old shop most days, the sign is still there but he's long gone :(

I'm not sure but I'm guessing probably the lovely owner had trouble paying the rent as the area became a bit more spruce. Same story all over.

I used to love it as there was usually just me and him there plus the odd random. You could spend hours in there just pulling out records and playing them to see what they were like...
John Eden

Postby Dubba » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Guiding Star Music- Pittsmoor, Sheffield.

Father Byron was the proprietor and by far and away the friendliest record shop owner I’ve encountered in 25 plus years of buying music. I was lucky that his was the first record shop I frequented as a wet behind the years 15 year old. Was a huge thing for me as young Asian teenager travelling considerable distance to the other side of town in an area which was then regarded as something of a no go zone if you didn’t live there, similar to Moss side, Brixton etc. Byron took me under his wing and like the name of his store guided me to quality music as I think he liked the fact that I was mad about the music from his beloved Jamaica. I know reggae record store owners generally get quite a bad press but this guy was a true gent and someone who I will always hold in the highest regard. Big respect and love to Puppa Byron!
Dubba

Postby cry tuff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:31 pm

out on the floor- camden Is still there, good second hand selection and home to Tuff Scout

Did anyone else attempt to return a faulty record to Keith at Daddy Kools ?
cry tuff

Postby Tune In 2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 am

cry tuff wrote:Did anyone else attempt to return a faulty record to Keith at Daddy Kools ?

I did quite a few times, never had any issues with him or Tony (Silver Camel)
from the days when they were located on Hanway Street W1, when my older brother used to take me to the west end where he would go to the soul n jazz record shop (Contempo I think it was called) a few doors along the street,
Those were the days when you could get
JA "7 pre's for £1.25,
pre LP'S were around £3.75 - £4.50
12" 45 were £2 -£3
was gutted when the price went up to £2 Then £2.50 for a 7" pre
(some thing to do with the oil crisis - the Iranian Revolution then the Iran–Iraq War)
Even when they moved to the larger shop in Dean St W1 had no issues returning tunes even if some were brought
in haste
Tune In 2

Postby lankou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 pm

As a foreigner, i managed to visit quite a few through the years: Daddy Kool and Blacka Dread were the absolute worst in terms of attitude and service. In the first,we were denied access to certain boxes, probably because we were too young and too french, in the other, i suppose i didn't look the right way.
I have memories of a small shop near Camden Market,it was a tiny square building with lots of faded Studio 1 LP covers in the show window. It was in'83, and we were too shy to venture inside (older clients, for sure!). Obviously,it stored oldies,probably cheap compared to now but as we also bought dead cheap punk 7"s, they seemed expensive.
We went back there in '85 and this little shack had been pulled down. I have always wondered about its name.
lankou

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion