Heartbeat Studio One releases VS Yep Roc Vs Soul Jazz

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Heartbeat Studio One releases VS Yep Roc Vs Soul Jazz

Postby jah_vaults » Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 pm

What is Heartbeat Studio one quality on the C.D.releases like as most of the Heartbeat Studio One CD releases are from master tapes.

Are the Heartbeat better sounding then the newly released Studio One Yep Roc releases or what about comparison against the Soul Jazz Releases?

If Yep Roc & Heartbeat & Soul Jazz have both released the same releases anybody done a comparison regarding Sound quality?

Which comes out best?

Bless
Last edited by jah_vaults on Sun May 27, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Re: Heartbeat studio One releases VS Yep Roc Vs Soul Jazz

Postby 99thfloor » Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 pm

I can't comment on Yep Roc, I haven't gotten any of those since they are both expenisve and complicated to get, being US only releases. I prefer Heartbeat over Soul Jazz, partly because they tend to use tapes to a higher degree, and partly because they have better mastering. Also I don't much like Soul Jazz's generic and presentation and random selection, but they are the most easily available source of Studio One, so I still end up buying them too.
99thfloor

Postby jah_vaults » Sat May 26, 2018 7:32 pm

99thfloor wrote:I can't comment on Yep Roc, I haven't gotten any of those since they are both expenisve and complicated to get, being US only releases. I prefer Heartbeat over Soul Jazz, partly because they tend to use tapes to a higher degree, and partly because they have better mastering. Also I don't much like Soul Jazz's generic and presentation and random selection, but they are the most easily available source of Studio One, so I still end up buying them too.

I think the worst Heartbeat Studio one Cd for quality must be this compilation Best of Studio One https://www.discogs.com/Various-Best-Of ... ter/109534

The album seems to have been made & put together from scratched vinyls which can be heard when playing the CD. Although Heartbeat may have released the album again from the master tapes.

To my ears i think sometimes the Soul Jazz releases are slightly over mastered if you know what i mean. But Soul Jazz still decent quality

There dont seem to have been any sound issues reported yet with the YEP ROC Studio One Releases.
Last edited by jah_vaults on Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Donovan » Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I don't get the whole Soul Jazz are mastered hot theory. To me they sound great. Lively and full but not loud in a bad way. Nor are the dynamics crushed. Heartbeat did a good job don't get me wrong, but technology has come a long way (most of the Heartbeats date to the 90's) and Soul Jazz has the goods. I don't have enough exposure to the Yep Roc's to say anything about them.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby ReggaeFire » Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 am

Heartbeat did reissue the original Best Of series towards the end of their run and it was better sounding, and included bonus tracks from other releases that had gone out of print.

As for the Heartbeat titles that YepRoc have reissued (Freddy McKay, The Skatalites) I bet they are using the same mastering from the last Heartbeat issue, although for The Skatalites set they did have do recompile it to eliminate a handful of Duke Reid tracks. Chris Wilson from Heartbeat is in charge of the current YepRoc/S1 deal, so I look at it as Heartbeat 2.0.

As far as I can recall the only time that SJ and Heartbeat put out roughly the same material was the Burning Spear sets, I can’t recall any radical difference in sound quality but I’m certain if you do a search you’ll find extensive threads about it here as they were very popular releases at the time.
ReggaeFire

Postby Novice » Sun May 27, 2018 3:04 am

Pretty much all of the last few Studio 1 releases Heartbeat put out at the end of their run as "Deluxe Editions" sounded pretty good to my ears. I believe I purchased them all, or at least 23 on CD that I have and I can't recall any real sound problems on any of them except for MAYBE a track or two here or there but even they weren't terrible but just probably dirty masters.

I'd need examples of a "hot" master on a Soul Jazz to compare but what I do know is that Soul Jazz put out a pretty damn good sounding cut of Judah Eskender Tafari's "Jah Light" on the Studio One Roots Vol. 3 CD that was a long time coming since I, personally, had to listen to pretty muffled up sounding quality versions of it prior to that release so I was pretty happy about that.

-Me-
Novice

Postby 99thfloor » Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 am

jah_vaults wrote:I think the worst Heartbeat Studio one Cd for quality must be this https://www.discogs.com/Various-Best-Of ... ter/109534

The album seems to have been made & put together from scratched vinyls which can be heard when playing the CD. Although Heartbeat may have released the album again from the master tapes.

The original CD was one of their earliest releases, from 1987, back then there could be some issues like that. They re-released that one (as mentioned, along with several other early titles) in 2006, much better sounding, from tapes (many songs are different mixes too), but at that point they had maybe started to master a bit on the loud side. Those are on either end of the spectrum, a good part of their catalogue, from somewhere in between those extremes, are good sounding to me, from tape and dynamic. They had a tendency to remix things when possible (and replace original mixes with remixes on reissues), which meant clean crisp sound, but I prefer to have the original mixes available, so that was both a blessing and a curse.

There dont seem to have been any sound issues reported yet with the YEP ROC Studio One Releases.

There are always people that have issues with everything, I remember someone saying the Freddie McKay was awful and a dissappointment, but that was just the one person, most others else seemed to like it. There seemed to be consesus that it was sourced from vinyl, but that is just the way it is with a lot if this material, there aren't tapes available. I think it may often be a choice between mastering original mixes from vinyl or remixing from multitracks, the mix down tapes seem to often be missing (if one is to judge by how the material has been presented over previous releases).

ReggaeFire wrote:As far as I can recall the only time that SJ and Heartbeat put out roughly the same material was the Burning Spear sets, I can’t recall any radical difference in sound quality but I’m certain if you do a search you’ll find extensive threads about it here as they were very popular releases at the time.

I actually compared those once, and even though I think I found I preferred the Heartbeat they were very similar sounding.
99thfloor

Re: Heartbeat Studio One releases VS Yep Roc Vs Soul Jazz

Postby yms » Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 am

There's an unforgiveable tape glitch on the deluxe edition of the Johnny Osbourne Truth and Rights CD. It's on the track Jah Promise amd what is even more annoying is that it wasn't on the first issue that Heartbeat put out.
yms

Postby slengteng » Sun May 27, 2018 1:19 pm

yms wrote:There's an unforgiveable tape glitch on the deluxe edition of the Johnny Osbourne Truth and Rights CD. It's on the track Jah Promise amd what is even more annoying is that it wasn't on the first issue that Heartbeat put out.

I was about to post more or less the same thing. Too bad since it's a wonderful set. I was very disappointed and only listened to this CD once. I prefer to stick to a good vinyl rip.
Ah ! And 3:51 is quite short for the following track "Sing Jay Stylee (Previously Unreleased Extended Mix)"...
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby jah_vaults » Sun May 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Will have to try to check out the Yep Roc releases and sound quality as there not much feedback on those releases.

Although the Yep Roc packaging etc seems to be top notch. Yep Roc do seem to be cutting corners as one thing i did notice though is the fact i think all of the Yep Roc CD albums are released in just cardboard sleeves and not a plastic jewel case.

I Wonder why this is?

Lets hope there are no corners cut on Studio One Yep Roc sound quality. Good thread even if there were not too many replies. The replies which were left did help out.

Big Bless
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Sun May 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Are the card digipacks not more expensive to produce than standard jewell case cds?
There are tracks on the "from the vaults" yep roc release that are crap due to over use of noise reduction on vinyl source material.
yms

Postby jah_vaults » Sun May 27, 2018 7:12 pm

yms wrote:Are the card digipacks not more expensive to produce than standard jewell case cds?
There are tracks on the "from the vaults" yep roc release that are crap due to over use of noise reduction on vinyl source material.

Bless YMS Not sure if the Digicard packs are more expensive or cheaper to produce anyway i forgot to mention i also read this somewhere too there is problem with this particular "From The Vaults" and the mastering not so tough. So looks like Yep rock mastering is a let down on the "From The Vaults" release.

The Sugar & spice Studio one Rock a shaka label release is supposed to be much better quality then the "From The Vaults" CD.

The tracks maybe are from the same era on both released CDs.
jah_vaults

Postby Benj65 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:11 am

I'm the same as most here: haven't heard the Yep Roc; feel the HB CDs mastering is more neutral than SJ (more restrained might be the exact word I am looking for) and agree that the later HB CDs sound better than the earlier ones. Also, the HB series reach places the somewhat random SJ selections don't reach e.g. Melodians compliation.
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Postby jb welda » Tue May 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Since Chris Wilson is involved in this Yep Roc deal, I would bet most mixes are heartbeat ones.

And they (HB) were mostly criticized back in the day for making up their own "extended" mixes, mixes that never existed prior. Other than that, I think they had and retain a pretty sterling reputation for doing S1 justice with their releases, something Mr Dodd never really seemed interested in. Ever notice how pretty much every CD studio one released had at least one major, glaring problem? Like two of the same song, same version, one after another? Or skipping masters? Or obvious track listing errors? Or just plain crappy mastering? I do, and it turned me off them for a long time, to my eventual regret.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Ever notice how pretty much every CD studio one released had at least one major, glaring problem? Like two of the same song, same version, one after another? Or skipping masters? Or obvious track listing errors? Or just plain crappy mastering?

Wonder if the bad mastering has been carried over to the non-Heartbeat Studio One downloads available from Bandcamp (https://studioone.bandcamp.com/music)?
drwatts53

Next

Return to General discussion