Johnny Clarke next up in VP's Blood & Fire reissue series

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Johnny Clarke next up in VP's Blood & Fire reissue series

Postby drwatts53 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:39 pm

"Expanded and re-mastered, the release of Creation Rebel [based on Dreader Dread] captures the very essence of what is now regarded as the golden age of roots music. Package bonus features include extended length mixes of Jah Love Is With I, Bad Days Are Going, and Peace And Love In The Ghetto. Newly composed liner notes by Noel Hawks."

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/joh ... tion-rebel

Meanwhile Greensleeves are reissuing the 12" of Jah Love Is With I, presumably c/w Bad Days Are Going, at a very reasonable price (https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/joh ... -is-with-i ). Let's hope the sound quality matches the original - see dubmaster 45's comments on the reissue of Tristan Palmer's Joker Smoker 12": https://www.discogs.com/Triston-Palma-P ... ter/245981 .

Right, the rest of you can get back to your lists now. :wink:
drwatts53

Re: Johnny Clarke next up in VP's Blood & Fire reissue serie

Postby 99thfloor » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 pm

drwatts53 wrote:Right, the rest of you can get back to your lists now. :wink:

I haven't posted in any "list" threads, but Dreader Dread would probably be in a top five B&F releases list, it is also one of the harder of them to find, so it makes sense to reissue that (in a fashion, it is expanded quite a bit).

Here is the tracklist:

1. Play Fool Fe Get Wise
2. Live Up Jah Man
3. Dread A Dread
4. Time Will Tell
5. Blood Dunza
6. King In The Arena
7. Fire and Brimstone A Go Burn The Wicked
8. African People
9. Jah Jah We Are Waiting
10. In The Roots Of The Ghetto
11. Roots Natty Congo
12. Love Up Your Brothers And Sisters
13. Peace and Love In The Ghetto
14. Age Is Growing
15. African Roots
16. Every Knee Shall Bow
17. Top Ranking
18. Move Out Of Babylon Rastaman
19. Commercial Locks (feat. Dillinger)
20. Enter Into His Gates With Praise
21. None Shall Escape The Judgement
22. Joshua's Words
23. Jah Jah Bless Joshua
99thfloor

Postby drwatts53 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Seems pretty much like a combination of Dreader Dread and A Ruffer Version.
drwatts53

Postby drwatts53 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Don't know where you got the tracklist from, 99thfloor, but contrary to what the Rough Trade blurb says, Jah Love Is With I and Bad Days Are Going aren't included.
drwatts53

Postby 99thfloor » Fri May 11, 2018 12:55 am

drwatts53 wrote:Don't know where you got the tracklist from, 99thfloor, but contrary to what the Rough Trade blurb says, Jah Love Is With I and Bad Days Are Going aren't included.

I found it here: http://upcomingvinyl.com/record/johnny- ... tion-rebel

It is for the 2-LP version, the page links to Amazon, where the track list is too. I couldn't find an entry for the 2-CD, and that version obviously has room for a lot more tracks, I guess that's the reason for the discrepancy.
99thfloor

Postby buzzlulu » Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 am

So here is a question off topic from this thread however perhaps somewhat relevant.
I was lucky enough to amass a complete collection of every B&F vinyl release. I remember years ago there was an online store (boomkat?) which had an agreement to sell digital downloads of all the B&F releases. Is there anyplace which is selling B&F downloads or CD's? I do not want to sit down and digitize all my vinyl - a complete pain
buzzlulu

Postby 99thfloor » Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 am

buzzlulu wrote:I remember years ago there was an online store (boomkat?) which had an agreement to sell digital downloads of all the B&F releases. Is there anyplace which is selling B&F downloads or CD's?

I think I have seen you ask this question before. I assume B&F are not an operational company anymore, and the licenses for most of the B&F releases would have expired now anyway. I see some of the B&F titles on streaming sites with other copyright holders (such as the original producers or their companies), for example Dreader Dread is on Spotify saying "© 1998 Gorgon Records / ℗ 2014 Gorgon Records" (which would be a publishing company for Bunny Lee I assume), so your only option would be if you found select titles for sale that way, made available by the people the rights have reverted back to. It seems many use the B&F masterings and sell them, right or wrong, and to continue using Dreader Dread as an example, I had a look and it is available in mp3 form on Amazon (copyrighted to "Attack", which again sounds like a Bunny Lee thing).
99thfloor

Postby 99thfloor » Sat May 12, 2018 3:15 am

Here is the tracklisting for the 2-CD:

Disc: 1
1. Jah Love Is With I
2. Bad Days Are Going
3. Play Fool Fe Get Wise
4. Live Up Jah Man
5. Dread A Dread
6. Time Will Tell
7. Blood Dunza
8. King In The Arena
9. Fire and Brimstone A Go Burn The Wicked
10. African People
11. Jah Jah We Are Waiting
12. In The Roots Of The Ghetto
13. Roots Natty Congo
14. Love Up Your Brothers And Sisters
15. Peace and Love In The Ghetto

Disc: 2
1. Age Is Growing
2. African Roots
3. Every Knee Shall Bow
4. Top Ranking
5. Move Out Of Babylon Rastaman
6. Commercial Locks (feat. Dillinger)
7. Enter Into His Gates With Praise
8. None Shall Escape The Judgement
9. Joshua's Words
10. Jah Jah Bless Joshua
11. Cold I Up
12. Don't Be A Rude Boy
13. Just Give Up The Badness
14. Don't Trouble Trouble
15. I'm Gonna Put It On

2-LP: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CPLY3GT

2-CD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CQP6RM3
99thfloor

Postby buzzlulu » Sat May 12, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks for the reply. I am sure I can start hunting original cd's down on Discogs however I am too tired to start going through the effort again. It was a chore to put together a complete set of vinyl - glad I was able to as my main listening is via my turntable - however CD's/digital would also be convenient. No way I am going to needle drop the entire collection - I'm too old for that.

Speaking of "old" the great thing about reggae is that while I started listening back in the late 70's I still get tremendous enjoyment listening to it again today. I had the opportunity to see many of the greats back in the late 70's early 80's. Timeless sounds!
buzzlulu

Postby 99thfloor » Sat May 12, 2018 4:00 am

buzzlulu wrote:I am sure I can start hunting original cd's down on Discogs however I am too tired to start going through the effort again. It was a chore to put together a complete set of vinyl...

Many of the CDs are hard to find now and expensive even if you find them. I went the other route and put together a complete set of CDs (altough I have a few on LP too for good measure) and as I started after B&F had gone out of business that was hard enough I can tell you... Some years ago a whole bunch of surplus stock appeared at Ernie B's (Steve recently mentioned on Facebook that they had sold what was left to Ernie), some of them were very cheap, but this was after I had finally got my set together, wish I had known that would happen...
99thfloor

Postby buzzlulu » Sat May 12, 2018 4:26 am

I was able to get a lot of them from Ernie - this was back in 2007/2008. The ones I couldn't get from him I found in different parts of the world!
I even have not one but TWO box sets of Jesus Dread!
buzzlulu

Postby buzzlulu » Sat May 12, 2018 4:28 am

Also have a complete set of Pressure Sounds on vinyl.

Now I am nervous - maybe I should start grabbing the CD''s while they are still in print!
buzzlulu

Postby 99thfloor » Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 am

buzzlulu wrote:I was able to get a lot of them from Ernie - this was back in 2007/2008. The ones I couldn't get from him I found in different parts of the world!

Ernie didnt have much in stock at all when I stared, the first titles I got, as a first building block, came from a seller on Amazon called "wishbone_krug", very helpful guy selling Reggae who dug out many of them for me in the beginning.

buzzlulu wrote:Also have a complete set of Pressure Sounds on vinyl.

Now I am nervous - maybe I should start grabbing the CD''s while they are still in print!

Many of the Pressure Sound titles are long out of print on CD, I started collecting them around the same time as B&F about 15 years ago, and there were some I couldn't find at all even back then, I have not manged to plug all the old gaps with them (like the impossible Enos McLeod). Even a recent title Like Inturns Consider Yourself is already sold out.
99thfloor

Postby Chaz » Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 am

Both the LP and Cd versions of The Genius of Enos are available here at not too much money (if you live in Europe):

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?maste ... 5394&ev=mb
Chaz

Postby drwatts53 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:00 am

Don't know about anyone else, but the sequencing of both the 2LP and 2CD of the Johnny Clarke seems questionable to me. Although the 2CD kicks off with a triple killer punch, it's not exactly a natural progression, unlike on Trojan's A Ruffer Version, for instance (which is still available and cheap).
drwatts53

Next

Return to General discussion