Top 20 Female Artists

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Top 20 Female Artists

Postby Rocket Man » Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 am

add K Vibes aka Karen Morrison
Rocket Man

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 08, 2018 8:35 am

Several female artists for me to check out! :wink:

Rocket Man, when are you meeting Donald? :D
Ranking Glasses

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 08, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks Iankou for understanding the concept of a To 20 listing. People keep saying: "I would add so and so, I would add so and so" but they just can't keep adding otherwise it wouldn't be a Top 20! If someone thinks that an artist / group should be added they have to say who should be removed to keep the total at 20. Why is this so difficult to understand? :cry:
Ranking Glasses

Postby Tune In 2 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Thanks Iankou for understanding the concept of a To 20 listing. People keep saying: "I would add so and so, I would add so and so" but they just can't keep adding otherwise it wouldn't be a Top 20! If someone thinks that an artist / group should be added they have to say who should be removed to keep the total at 20. Why is this so difficult to understand? :cry:

Ok it would be nice if there were more than 20 however,
its your rules/game so i will play along
These are not direct comparisons, however some one got to go
Jah 9 - Barbara Jones
Sister Nancy - Fabian Miranda
Pam Hall - Susan Cadogan
Mo ‘Kalamity - Sandra Cross
Dezarie - Nora Dean
Jean Adebambo - Rita Marley
Last edited by Tune In 2 on Tue May 08, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tune In 2

Postby brigadierjc » Tue May 08, 2018 11:48 am

Not the most prolific but I love Paulette Pearce too
brigadierjc

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Tune In 2 wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:Thanks Iankou for understanding the concept of a To 20 listing. People keep saying: "I would add so and so, I would add so and so" but they just can't keep adding otherwise it wouldn't be a Top 20! If someone thinks that an artist / group should be added they have to say who should be removed to keep the total at 20. Why is this so difficult to understand? :cry:

Jah 9 - Barbara Jones
Pam Hall - Susan Cadogan
Dezarie - Nora Dean

I only put Fabian because of Prophecy. Blew me away the first time I heard it and it still sends shivers down my spine now. What a tune! "Destiny" didn't have the same impact but the B side is one of my all time favourite dubs.

I'm not that fond of Rita Marley. I only included her out of respect.

It's interesting that several people have said Sister Nancy. Didn't even occur to me but was she the first female DJ?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Tune In 2 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:
It's interesting that several people have said Sister Nancy. Didn't even occur to me but was she the first female DJ?

That's questionable
Dr Louise Bennett Aka Ms Lou
https://youtu.be/_Fy39wPedmY
Tune In 2

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Thought she was a poet?
Ranking Glasses

Postby lankou » Tue May 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Rankin Specs i do as please, and please check that i put 21 et 22 between brackets. As Merlene Webber recorded a good number of her song with her sister, as The Webber Sisters (and otHer aliases), it was not possible for me to include her there. I may take D Shaffer off the list, then on other days, i wouldn't.
For people who appreciate many different periods of JA music, it's much less easy to come up with a Top 20!
As for other choices, Joy White and K Vibes ( Karen Morrison on some recordings) are fine calls, though the latter remains under-recorded - the fact that her more recent tunes have only been released on digital format doesn't help, imho.
Last edited by lankou on Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lankou

Postby southlondonmassive » Tue May 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Tune In 2 wrote:

Jah 9 - Barbara Jones
Pam Hall - Susan Cadogan
Dezarie - Nora Dean

Sister Nancy for Fabien Miranda??
Why? Ok she made a few more tunes but Fabiens tunes are Classics.
Please don't mention Bam Bam or I might cry... If I never hear that tune again I will die happy
southlondonmassive

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 pm

lankou wrote:Rankin Specs i do as please, and please check that i put 21 et 22 between brackets. As Merlene Webber recorded a good number of her song with her sister, as The Webber Sisters (and otHer aliases), it was not possible for me to include her there. I may take D Shaffer off the list, then on other days, i wouldn't.
For people who appreciate many different periods of JA music, it's much less easy to come up with a Top 20!
As for other choices, Joy White and K Vibes ( Karen Morrison on some recordings) are fine calls, though the latter remains under-recorded - the fact that her more recent tunes have only been released on digital format doesn't help, imho.

I paid you a compliment and I get defensiveness and hostility in return. I appreciate that I have one of those faces people would like to punch but don't get it?
Ranking Glasses

Postby lankou » Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm

My sincere apologies! It's the problem sometimes with texts, that you don't get the tone in which they were written, for some sentences can be understood in different ways. See, i took out Doreen Shaffer to fully comply to the set rule (and also removed Barrington in its male counterpart, to make room for Sugar Minott!). As a big fan of JA music sung by ladies, it's hard for me to cut down to 20 artists. It irks me to see how many of them are overlooked, given the amount of their male colleagues who get most of the props.
:wink:
While reading most of the other posts, i made out that a lot of other messages only featured additional artists not on your list. Hence the misunderstanding. I am glad i discovered Bunny Brissett, an artist i'm not so familiar with, as i have never checked much produced by Augustus Pablo in the 80's. I have an album by another Brissett, Annette, produced by Sly & Robbie, but only 3 odd good songs on it.
An artist like Nana McLean also released some beautiful songs and Lady G is a great deejay, and i'd take any Lady Ann tune over Nancy (those two had a beef way back when, ah ah!), not to mention a whole heap of female artists who vanished after releasing a few tunes or some more.
Someone like Crissy D could have been big if promoted by US music biz, but that's another story. Tessanne Chin and it brought her nothing but some short fame on TV. She has a totally amazing voice, though, and did some killer reggae-rock songs, very unusual so too far off the well trodden reggae paths, maybe.
lankou

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm

No worries Iankou.

The Bunny Brissett tune has been reissued: https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/Bunny_Brissett/release/Better_Safe_Than_Sorry

I have to big up my beautiful cousin Sister Sonie produced by her former partner Keety Dread (of Highteous sound):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRx9cxnmLQ

Ranking Glasses

Postby johnny clash » Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm

they know. they just don't care.

Tanya Stephens is my #1

and my favourite current female artist is Hempress Sativa.

you're welcome :wink:
johnny clash

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Ranking Glasses

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion