Don't Call Us Immigrants

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Don't Call Us Immigrants

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UNNfrJ4hBN0

People from the Caribbean who have lived here for 50 years, who have had children and grandchildren here, were being threatened with deportation. Some were refused treatment on the NHS unless they paid up. Some have been held in detention centres and some are thought to have been deported. The Home Secretary Amber Rudd has apologised for the cock up but I think she should resign.
Ranking Glasses

Re: Don't Call Us Immigrants

Postby Chaz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 am

There are many shocking and upsetting stories relating to this policy. It was started under May's tenure as Home Secretary though, so arguably, Rudd is only following through. She does show a lack of empathy though, apology notwithstanding.
Chaz

Postby Mark T » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 pm

The Guardian has been covering this in-depth with lots of articles relating to the 'Windrush'. It made me so angry to read these stories and to hear about the injustice being done to people who had spent their lives contributing to Britain. Ridculous.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Apparently it was a labour government which "lost" the records.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Dubba » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Apparently it was a labour government which "lost" the records.

This has now been exposed as an outright lie and happened under Tory rule when the Maybot was Home Secretary. She blatantly lied during PMQ today. This country is an utter shambles at the moment in terms of the governing party and the pathetic opposition. Labour are sadly killing themselves with self inflicted wounds and the Tories are getting away with incompetence on a level I have never previously seen in my lifetime.
Dubba

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am

Yes, from what I've seen the Tories knew that the landing cards had been destroyed at the time they introduced the more stringent immigration controls. Introduced by Theresa May, as you say, to pander to right-wingers.

There are calls for compensation but I think the best thing to do now is to establish the British citizenship of these people with the Home Office once and for all as this has been an ongoing issue for many years.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Chaz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 am

Doesn't bode well for how EU citizens living here are likely to be treated going forward, does it?
Chaz

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am

Agreed Chaz, they've already started deporting EU citizens who are homeless. They'll be plenty more deported I'm sure. All the Maybot cares about are the figures. No compassion. A dispicable individual. No wonder she likes to hold hands with the Klu Klux Clown in the White House.
Reggie Love

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 pm

I do remember it. She thought she could call an election, hoover up the UKIP vote and smash us to pieces. Then lord it over us with hard right policies for five years.

It's not working out that way and U turns are part of that.
Reggie Love

Return to General discussion