Does 180 gram reggae vinyl press album really sound better

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Does 180 gram reggae vinyl press album really sound better

Postby jah_vaults » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 am

Does 180 gram vinyl really sound better?

Lots of Record store releases seem to be 180 grams or coloured vinyl.

Question is does the 180 gram vinyl sound really sound that much better to justify the higher price.

If you had both same reggae albums on 180 gram and the other on a normal pressing as long as both of the albums were good clean pressing would there really be that much of a vast difference in the sound quality?

Maybe the thicker vinyl would make less distortion travel to the needle at higher volumes apart from this i am not sure if the weight of the vinyl pressing really does makes a huge difference

I think the sound quality more likely depends on the quality of the pressing than the thickness of the vinyl.

Although most of the 180 gram releases are mainly of a very high quality pressing also.

Makes me think is mainly to do with press quality then weight also take into consideration the sourced quality & the manufacturing quality of the actual vinyl to be pressed which should not be full of dust grit and dirt and other contaminants like jamaican pressings were famed for.

Unless you automatically get a higher quality pressing if the vinyl weighs more? Then i think this makes sense

If anybody can clear this up would be good
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Re: Does 180 gram reggae vinyl press album really sound bett

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 am

If the source material is the same the sound of a particular pressing is only dependent on how it is mastered and it's playability on if it is pressed properly (avoiding flaws), the weight has nothing to do with anything, it's like saying a certain edition of a book is a better read because the pages are thicker.

But the thing is the 180g pressings are now the "normal" pressings, there are hardly any titles pressed in several weights.

I actually think 180g is potentially worse because the thicker LPs seem more prone to get warping and other defects, probably becuse they are not allowed to cool down properly after pressing.
Last edited by 99thfloor on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
99thfloor

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am

I bought a few 180 gram LPs and I honestly couldn't hear any difference.
Ranking Glasses

Postby jah_vaults » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I bought a few 180 gram LPs and I honestly couldn't hear any difference.

This is what i suspected the sound quality is more to do with mastering and actual press quality then the weight of the vinyl.

If this was the case they would be manufacturing 360 gram Lp releases if the extra pressing weight really helped that much with better sound quality

Just another marketing gimmick most probably
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am

Might end up like Jah Shaka reaching up above your head to put the needle on the record because the vinyl is so thick!
Ranking Glasses

Return to General discussion