Blacker Dread film

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Blacker Dread film

Postby John Eden » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 pm

https://www.thewire.co.uk/news/49996/fi ... ead-martin

Being Blacker examines the life of music producer, Brixton record shop owner and key figure in South London's Jamaican community

Film maker Molly Dineen has returned with her first documentary in ten years, Being Blacker. Dineen met the music producer and record shop owner Steve ‘Blacker Dread’ Martin nearly 40 years ago when they we both 18 – she was a student when she shot Sound Business in 1981; a film that documented the British incarnations of Jamaica’s Sound Systems, and where she met Blacker Dread. Back in 2014, Blacker Dread had asked Dineen to film his mother's funeral, an experience that would mark the start of this documentary, and the succeeding three years she would spend with the subject documenting events such as his daughter's wedding and his first prison sentence. “Blacker Dread's life has seen him experience three generations of educational inequality, racism, cultural isolation, lack of employment opportunities, crime and violence, but also togetherness, community spirit, and a vibrant musical culture,” notes that synopsis, with this portrait of a major figurehead in South London's Jamaican community also highlighting many of the issues that face black communities in London today.

Film is showing at at various locations in the UK in March. Trailer in the link...
John Eden

Re: Blacker Dread film

Postby Dubba » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 am

Thanks John, looking forward to watching this.
Dubba

Postby John Eden » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Apparently the film will also be broadcast on BBC2 on Monday 12 March 2018, at 9.00 p.m.
John Eden

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Yes, I saw a BBC trailer for it last night.
Reggie Love

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 am

On BBC 2 tonight at 9pm. Looking forward to it.
Reggie Love

Postby lankou » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 pm

One of the greatest customer service i've ever experienced in a reggae shop! :roll:

I hope he unveils his selling techniques in there! :mrgreen:
lankou

Postby KingSimeonSound » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Haha. I was thinking the same..!

I saw a little of the interview on Breakfast TV and got the feeling that they were pinning many accolades onto him, an easy hit for the BBC to cover issues they generally are really uncomfortable with.

It should be a good ground level insight into South London life, I hope Blacka opens up subjects to the wider community, rather than allowing a narrow minded view, one that was suggested on the BBC edit/trailer.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby yms » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm

At least it isn't David Rodigan again.....
yms

Postby Ras Berry » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Or Don Letts

8)
Ras Berry

Postby Rockers Galore » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 am

Here's the iPlayer link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09w3wjg
Probably only works for those in the UK?
Rockers Galore

Postby John Eden » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

It was good I thought - a good snapshot of a Brixton which is unfortunately on its way out.

Possibly a bit long at 90 minutes though.

Very good at showing Blacker's family and the various struggles they have had to face- and characters like Naptali were worth the price of admission alone (there should be a film about him!).

It was (perhaps understandably) very weak on the ins and outs of the legal case.

I'll dig out some Blacker Dread tunes tonight and raise a green tea to the man, despite being ignored in his shop a couple of times. :mrgreen:
John Eden

Postby brigadierjc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Same thoughts about the shop :lol:

As John Eden pointed out, it was maybe a bit long but yeah overall a good watch.

I saw the previous film she did about him and found there was very little linking the two together, which I found odd.
Very little about his music career, both as a producer and a soundman.

Is it just me or?
brigadierjc

Postby KingSimeonSound » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Sounds like a good watch. Personally, am glad it's less about sound/music as it bot a one man thing.

I did hear from somone who spoke to the director that the original plan kept changing when filming & due to the events unfolding it concentrated away from the music.

It was also mentioned that the director still intended on returning to make it about the sound & music.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby yms » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 pm

The quality of the limited amount of old footage was crap which leads me to believe decent copies or the original print does not exist anymore
yms

Postby John Eden » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:34 pm

I think in some ways it was good that it was more about the family and the community than the music. 90 minutes on changing Brixton and so on is probably more interesting to me these days than the story of a soundman...

Having said that, I enjoyed giving this lot a spin last night:

John Eden

Next

Return to General discussion