King Jammy contact info?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

King Jammy contact info?

Postby tactix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Hey now B&F,

Does anybody have an email address for King Jammy? I want to inquire about having some dubs cut there. Anybody here have any experience doing that with him ?

Cheers!
tactix

Re: King Jammy contact info?

Postby dj745 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Does he have a dub cutting machine active? Only know of Jarod studio and Mr Tell having a working dub cutter in ja
dj745

Postby tactix » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:06 pm

dj745 wrote:Does he have a dub cutting machine active? Only know of Jarod studio and Mr Tell having a working dub cutter in ja

I suspect not. My thought was record digitally and then cut to a plate in the States.
tactix

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 am

There should be an email address on Jammys releases
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby tactix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:45 am

jah_vaults wrote:There should be an email address on Jammys releases

Indeed. Thanks for the suggestion. My googling hadn't revealed much and I jumped the gun asking.
But I'm still curious if anybody has had any recent experience recording dubs there. Is the studio still generally active with people booking time and producing material out of there? Jammy himself seems relatively quiet...
tactix

Postby dj745 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Haven't had much experience of Jammy's studio but would add that other studios such as Penthouse or Grafton studios are very active as far as voicing is concerned and then there are 'dub cutting studios' like Jaro, youth Promotion,Exodus (if ur feeling brave!) or Mr. Tells who in my opinion is one of the most reliable and safest studios to work out of.
dj745

Postby tactix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

dj745 wrote:Haven't had much experience of Jammy's studio but would add that other studios such as Penthouse or Grafton studios are very active as far as voicing is concerned and then there are 'dub cutting studios' like Jaro, youth Promotion,Exodus (if ur feeling brave!) or Mr. Tells who in my opinion is one of the most reliable and safest studios to work out of.

By dub cutting studios I assume you mean one of those places that basically just has a vocal booth? And by braving Exodus, are you referring to the road? Don't know anything about Mr. Tells - where's that and by safe are you referring to working remotely with him or being physically in the studio and dealing with folks there?

I guess what I had envisioned is having a newer artist cut a track onto of Jammy's late 80's digi rhythms and then a dub version mixed. I suppose you could get anybody to cut a vocal at any studio onto a straight rhythm if one is in circulation but going to the source seems like a more interesting (and likely more expensive) proposition.
tactix

Postby dj745 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Tactic,dub cutting studios in my experience is as you have described.

Exodus is one of the most well known dub cutting studios on red hills road where artists just hang out waiting to try and get a chance to voice a dub ( and eat some food) however, I have found in the few times that I have been there that it is a very pressured environment where every artist wants you to voice something-especially if you are from 'foreign'- there's a presumption that you will have vast sums of money (which is not always the case) so whilst you may go with the intention of voicing artist A it's basically a bit of a hustle and you will more than likely end up having to voice other artists that you may not have an interest in voicing.

Mr Tells is a very 'hidden' studio where you can only get in if you have made an appointment- same goes with artists who don't just hang about - they go there if they have dubs to cut, voice, get paid and then leave- his studio is closer to Hope Road in a safer spot-yes you can be there when u r voicing-pm me if you are interested.

Certainly agree that getting a newer artist to voice a Jammy's digit riddim at the source is a great idea and certainly feasible too.

Btw- there are tons of studios you could use that are perfectly safe and reliable.

Hope that helps.
dj745

Return to General discussion