why are some of those later Studio One albums so rare?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

why are some of those later Studio One albums so rare?

Postby markp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:02 pm

It seems impossible to find Jackie Mittoo and Alton Ellis' Showcase albums at a normal price where a lot of their older is available all over the place. Is it because they considered bad and not interesting to repress? I like them. So if anyone willing to part...
markp

Re: why are some of those later Studio One albums so rare?

Postby jb welda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I personally think it was all so haphazard there is no rhyme or reason for why something on S1 is more rare than something else on S1. Or where you can find the song, but it has all kinds of crazy overdubs on it, without noting so on the cover or artwork. I think it was just chaos there at least as far as what got released and in what form. If not chaos, I can find no real coordination there, always seemed like a big pile of this is what we got.

edit to add: what I really mean is the reissue schedule with S1, that is what seems so chaotic. I wasn't really into studio one when began listening to reggae music, so pretty much everything to me has been reissues, not the originals, unfortunately. And it was only when Heartbeat started reissuing and compiling their music that I started to appreciate it.

one love
jb
Last edited by jb welda on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Re: why are some of those later Studio One albums so rare?

Postby soul rebel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 am

My guess is, at least as far as the Jackie Mitto album goes, that not many were pressed (and absolutely no repress). I looked for it for a long time, and it wasn't like I saw a bunch but they were too expensive, I saw NONE. The copy I bought was among the first I saw, at least 10 years after I first tried too look for it.
That, to me, suggests a small run.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Return to General discussion