What is.....???

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: What is.....???

Postby minidub » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:16 pm

the first three to come to mind are:

* king vupp - another moses. a guy in france (david, midnite selector?) sent me 3 different CDs with rare and dread cuts on them. this cut immediately became a tune i would search out, but never thought i'd have a chance of scoring. it sells for hundreds and i don't spend money like that on vinyl. not sure how people missed it when it was listed for auction, but i was the only bidder and won the record for $39; it's in fantastic condition and i love to share it with my radio audience now & again.

* black skin - ruccumbine. i already has his tune "black skin" which remains one of my favorite reggae songs to listen to. a friend of mine (toby, hot milk) knew how much i adored the song, having played it for him while telling him how much i love the dissonance of dread lyrics over such sweet music. several months later i received in the mail from toby black skin's "ruccumbine" which is black skin's next version on the same rhythm. what a ting...what a friend!

* the rastafarians - orthodox, white label test press. i have a huge thing for this record and have three copies of the release. a good friend (jah mike) knew how much i adored it so he gave me the test press he owned. a few years back i had two copies with me while DJing the sierra nevada world music festival. i dropped a cut from the LP and carter van pelt admitted to me that though he had heard of the LP, he had never listened to it and didn't own a copy. so i gladly gave mr. van pelt a copy.

m.
minidub

Postby minidub » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm

double post, sorry.

m.
minidub

Postby kalcidis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:54 pm

minidub wrote:* king vupp - another moses

Wow! Congrats on that one, m! One of those I also would think I'd never get (until the reissue comes some day). Happy you managed to score one though.

minidub wrote: * the rastafarians - orthodox, white label test press. /.../ while DJing the sierra nevada world music festival. i dropped a cut from the LP

Curious about what cut you played?
kalcidis

Postby minidub » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

kalcidis, i don't remember exactly but would say either "a love we a deal with" or "roll call".
also had one or two of haile maskel solo LPs -- i would guess to play alongside the rastafarians.

most years i don't bring any LPs, just 7/10/12s.

to be more precise, it isn't a white label but rather a pale tan color. it says:
KM Records Inc.
TEST PRESS

m.
minidub

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:34 am

Sam Cooke on the Studio (N)One label: Love Me b/w Lost and Looking.

Sounds strange, but one of the best set of tracks I have heard in ten years.

The other single on the label is Teenage Sonata b/w a track that doesn't come up to the standard set by the others.

Pure bootleg business and a mash up besides, but what a ting

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby soul rebel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I managed to find a mint copy for £25 but the pressing wasn't brilliant. Looked like it had been hand made!

Someone put it on a reissue 10", on Impact, along with Mission Impossible, so if it's only sound quality you're after, I would recommend that one!
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby Mark T » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 am

Probably my Rockers 12"s - I'm thinking Crucial Burial, Eastman Sound, Paul Blackman's Earth, Wind and Fire.
I bought them all as they came out but when I left the UK I left my reggae records with a good friend (who has since passed away).
I have slowly been buying them back and they give me a lot of pleasure.
Other similar records would be Culture's Two Sevens Clash which never grows old and singles like Trinity's Cool Runnings and Kojak's Different Style which, for whatever reason, have a special place in my listening heart!
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Reggie Love » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Mine would be Hollie Cook Live in London. Hollie put on an intimate gig for charity earlier this year which I managed to get tickets for- I guess there were only about 60 people there. It was a great performance and sound which was recorded for a vinyl release of just 50 copies. Afterwards I was desperate to secure a copy and was leaving emails and tweets left right and centre. In the end it didn't prove difficult to get one because the release didn't get much publicity. I have other records I cherish but this is special because I was there and the record is so scarce.
Reggie Love

Postby minidub » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:26 pm

that's pretty great reggie!

i've never really been a fan of her music, but i can understand how special that would be, nonetheless.

m.
minidub

Postby jps » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:19 am

Got a bunch of records that I found for a great deal less than what they are worth, but the one that means the most is Don Carlos - Mr Sun 12" on Jah Guidance. Found it in perfect condition for about $20 at a record shop which I would have payed more for.

When I was really getting into reggae I used to stay up to listen to a radio show in D.C. and would record all of them on cassette. One of the shows had this tune on it and I swear I wore that cassette out, so I was so happy when I found a copy of it on vinyl many years later. I'm sure others have experienced that feeling when you are flipping through a bunch of records at a shop and you see that one that just makes you freeze with excitement.

Although most of the time these days I get my records from Discogs or somewhere else online there is nothing like actually flipping through records in person.
jps

Postby DJ Conscious » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I bought Lay Down My Arms by Wes Brooks from Steve Cox's list. The problem is that I never really listened to the lyrics properly until I bought it and for the life of me, I don't know what he's singing about. Do you?

For me, it's always been about not giving up the fight against babylon, oppressors etc. I don't think he's referring to 'arms' literally but using it loosely to get the message across to keep persevering and standing up for your rights no matter what. It's entirely possible however that he does mean 'arms' in its literal sense which could refer to the political situation in JA at the time which we know was/(is) armed with arms.
DJ Conscious

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm

You're probably right. It was more that treasure / pleasure bit.
Ranking Glasses

Previous

Return to General discussion