10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:59 pm

What is a "One Drop"?
The difference between Rock Steady and Reggae?
The Lyrics of the "Israelites"?
What does "Rat a Cut Bottle" mean?
The mumblings of Burning Spear
Why is Keith Hudson rated so highly?
What is a Muss Muss?
Why have the Japanese stopped buying lovers rock on e-Bay, or any reggae at all for that matter?
Why is it more acceptable to be a murderer than a homosexual in Jamaica?
With all that killing, why does no one die in a clash?
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:12 am

let me give it a try:

>What is a "One Drop"? a style of playing where the one beat is dropped...or some musician thing like that. not a mystery really

>The difference between Rock Steady and Reggae? well documented and having to do with the heat of a summer and the perceived need to slow down the riddim to give dancers a break. again, not a mystery

>The Lyrics of the "Israelites"? oh come on, its pretty plain patois, and there are transcripts available easily.

>What does "Rat a Cut Bottle" mean? yeah that's a mystery...

>The mumblings of Burning Spear again, not really mumbles and quite lucid with a little patience and listening.

>Why is Keith Hudson rated so highly? ok again you got me on that one

>What is a Muss Muss? I believe it is basically a mouse, a little rodent creature who cannot tell between his tail being afire and a cool breeze.

>Why have the Japanese stopped buying lovers rock on e-Bay, or any reggae at all for that matter? Japanese culture is known for heavily absorbing trends and then completely abandoning them. if you are selling to a Japanese audience, better strike while the iron is hot

>Why is it more acceptable to be a murderer than a homosexual in Jamaica? oh but everyone can get together and hate on a homosexual murderer.

>With all that killing, why does no one die in a clash? not so sure that hasn't happened what with the way they run their mouths. to me that aint even hardly reggae

one love
jb
jb welda
 
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: caliweedonya

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:20 am

JB, my post was tongue in cheek but thanks anyway.

Yes, I think I can hear a "one drop" in "Natural Mystic" for example.

But many reggae songs aren't slower than rock steady songs?

I have to disagree with you about the Israelites. My parents and much of my family were / are from Jamaica so I grew up with patois but I and many Jamaicans can't understand some of the lyrics in that song.

Years ago I remember "cut" being used as a terms for "eat" so I wonder if "Rat a Cut Bottle" means that times were so hard that rats were eating bottles because they couldn't find food? Of course rat probably means mouse because many Jamaicans call mice rats, when they're not calling them muss musses that is.

Luckily the lyrics to Burning Spear's songs are printed in the sleeve notes of some of his LPs.

Yes, the Japanese do move from trend to trend. I remember when they were crazy about Rock 'n' Roll. However, I think that the downturn in their economy may also be a factor.

Sound clashes are strange affairs nowadays with lots of shouting for no apparent reason and where "specials" are played for only a few seconds. I suspect that these "specials" only last for a few seconds to save money so the operator has to pull them up quick before anyone realises.
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:34 pm

11 - are hugh mundell & lacksley castell the same person ?

12 - who is the lion tell dem fe mash down ?
skunkride
 
Posts: 6581
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: South side, Tel-Aviv

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 pm

skunkride wrote:11 - are hugh mundell & lacksley castell the same person ?
:)
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:23 am

13: Why did Rodigan accept an OBE and bow to the monarchy?

14: Is Perry putting it on?
Reggie Love
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:33 am
Location: London

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Reggie Love wrote:14: Is Perry putting it on?


A very good question. While he is no doubt a little eccentric (or nuts depending on your point of view) I think he is playing to the audience. I say this because his favourite tipple is blackcurrant mixed with petrol and I don't think you can live very long drinking petrol.

Some other important questions:

Did Little John own shares in Clarkes Shoes?
Apart from the obvious reference to being pregnant, what do the lyrics in Tenor Saw’s Pumpkin Belly mean?
Why did no one tell Tenor Saw that he spelt his name incorrectly (should have been Tenon Saw)?
Did I really enjoy listening to Eek a Mouse? Or should that have been Eek a Muss Muss?
Why do Shabba Ranks 80s & 90’s tunes sound so dated now?
Do you get to Zion when you’re alive or when you’re dead?
Why do modern roots tunes have such long introductions? Are they deliberately trying to annoy me?
Do you have to “dread” to be a rasta or not? (Morgan Heritage vs Michael Rose.)
Will you become the best DJ if you keep telling everyone that you’re the best DJ? A reference to Brigadier Jerry who is a bit like Mohammed Ali this regard: “I am the greatest, I am the greatest…!”
Why can’t Capleton stand still when he’s deejaying? I can’t understand a word he’s saying with all that jumping about.
Can someone name a modern reggae artist who can actually sing? You know, in terms of notes, tone, tempo, etc.
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby jahkob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:34 pm

The classic beginner question on reggae forums seem to be:

whats the difference between a dubplate and a special?
https://www.mixcloud.com/DUBDISCO45/
jahkob
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Anbessa » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Another classic one :

- what is the difference between rockers and steppers ? :)
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:26 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:12 pm

jahkob wrote:The classic beginner question on reggae forums seem to be:
whats the difference between a dubplate and a special?


Yes, a daft question because they're one and the same but not in all cases. If by a dubplate you mean an acetate, I have come across several over the years which are run-offs of the master tape for test purposes but are not extolling the virtues of a particular sound system or DJ. These cannot therefore be called "specials". Furthermore, specials are not always on acetate nowadays and can apparently be recorded on newfangled media such as DAT or MP3 so are not technically "dubplates".
Last edited by Ranking Glasses on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Anbessa wrote:Another classic one :
- what is the difference between rockers and steppers ? :)


The difference is that Steppers is always roots that you can "step" to while Rockers can be roots or upbeat "middle of the road" stuff. A good example is Money Worries by the Maytones which could be classed as Rockers but never as Steppers.
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby TruthTown » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Why is Keith Hudson rated so highly?


IMHO he was a very innovative person, who didnt follow standards, made some marvellous & atemporal songs for his own LPs, recorded many hits with great artists (some of them became reggae legends after recording with him some of their first tunes) and produced some sublime dub albums, like "Pick A Dub". Only for that, he must be recognized as one of the best of reggae.

For me, the mystery is: why are a lot of average singers rated so highly just because they recorded a few roots-sufferor-cliche songs which became classics?
TruthTown
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Basque Country

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes, I agree he was very good behind the scenes but he was an awful singer.
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby TruthTown » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Yes, I agree he was very good behind the scenes but he was an awful singer.


yes. maybe he didnt have a great voice like dennis brown but he had his style and could write non-cliche lyrics over non-cliche riddims.
TruthTown
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Basque Country

Re: 10 Great Mysteries of Reggae Music

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 pm

I agree totally Truthtown. Very succinctly put.
Reggie Love
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:33 am
Location: London

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests