Freddie McKay - Tribal Inna Yard in Dub

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Freddie McKay - Tribal Inna Yard in Dub

Postby capullo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:02 pm

probably only wishful thinking but is there a counterpart dub album to this masterpiece?
capullo

Re: Freddie McKay - Tribal Inna Yard in Dub

Postby flashman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm not able to check at the moment, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it is on Scientist - Dub Landing.
flashman

Postby capullo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:40 pm

thanks flashman! didn't think about this! you are right! i could identify at least 2 tunes. "beaming" on dub landing I and "betrayal" on dub landing II.
capullo

Postby Chaz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:09 am

capullo wrote:thanks flashman! didn't think about this! you are right! i could identify at least 2 tunes. "beaming" on dub landing I and "betrayal" on dub landing II.

I think that might be the sum of it, unfortunately. There is a nice dub on the flip of the Tribal Inna Yard 7", although the 45 is very hard to find. Whilst not containing versions, this Linval Thompson compilation is interesting as it contains two tracks from Tribal with different mixes. 'A Message' particularly, is even better than the one on this album.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Jah-Jah- ... ase/650234
Chaz

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:53 am

There is a version of Hey Stranger on this Mikey Dread album.

http://www.discogs.com/Mikey-Dread-Afri ... se/2646753

track 14 - Jumping Master Dub.
Reggie Love

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 am

There is a also Gonna be sorry dub and Lonely dub. Both are on the Linval Thompson and the Revolutionaries 'Boss Man's Dub' album, put out by Hot Milk a couple of years ago.
Reggie Love

Postby flashman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Wow, only 2? So much for my memory.

However, the Mikey Dread Jumping Master is definitely NOT a dub of Hey Stranger. That's twice now that I've heard someone claim that. The rhythm for Hey Stranger is a remake of Jumping Master produced by L Thompson. Similar bassline, but rhythmically quite different if you compare side by side. I believe (memory again?) that Beaming on Dub Landing is a dub of Hey Stranger.
flashman

Postby RB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:19 pm

IIRC "lonely man" is on a Niagara 12" with dub

there' also a 90s Thompson Sound press of a cut of "rondezvous" with a dub, this was probably made at same sessions as this LP
i'm not sure if it was ever released before that but i don't think so?
i think there's at least one more McKay Thompson Sound 45 like this too, forget the tune name tho
RB

Postby marko » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:48 am

Chaz wrote:There is a nice dub on the flip of the Tribal Inna Yard 7", although the 45 is very hard to find.

Oh man I never heard of an original 7" of Tribal, can't find anthing online, what label was that then?

Edit, just found a thread from a couple of years ago which only refers to the Vintage Avenue issue
marko

Postby Chaz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 am

marko wrote:
Chaz wrote:There is a nice dub on the flip of the Tribal Inna Yard 7", although the 45 is very hard to find.

Oh man I never heard of an original 7" of Tribal, can't find anthing online, what label was that then?

Edit, just found a thread from a couple of years ago which only refers to the Vintage Avenue issue

It only ever came out on that Vintage Avenue Recordings label, which was a Jet Star imprint it appears. I think it came out in the 90's.

Check your messages Marko.
Chaz

Postby Chaz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 am

Re-issue of this one out now, for anyone interested:

http://www.dubvendor.co.uk/mystic-eyes- ... 8033-p.asp
Chaz

Postby capullo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:54 am

cool! finally a dub mix available! thanks!

"Awesome roots revive coupling from Iroko Records, Mystic Eyes classic c/w wicked Freddie McKay on the brooding rhythm that also underpinned Rod Taylor's monumental Promised Land, both extended mixes with spectacular crashing dubs. Produced by Linval Thompson."
capullo

Postby credezcrew24 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Chaz wrote:
capullo wrote:thanks flashman! didn't think about this! you are right! i could identify at least 2 tunes. "beaming" on dub landing I and "betrayal" on dub landing II.

I think that might be the sum of it, unfortunately. There is a nice dub on the flip of the Tribal Inna Yard 7", although the 45 is very hard to find. Whilst not containing versions, this Linval Thompson compilation is interesting as it contains two tracks from Tribal with different mixes. 'A Message' particularly, is even better than the one on this album.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Jah-Jah- ... ase/650234

The titles of the two McKay songs are mixed up on, but for whatever reason the mp3 of "A Message" is available for FREE on Amazon so check it out if your interested.
credezcrew24

Postby capullo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:10 pm

dubvendor: "Awesome roots revive coupling from Iroko Records, Mystic Eyes classic c/w wicked Freddie McKay on the brooding rhythm that also underpinned Rod Taylor's monumental Promised Land, both extended mixes with spectacular crashing dubs"

12inch in my mailbox today. i actually ordered it only for the "...crashing dub..." of freddie mckay's tribal inna yard. big disappointment! vocal part is probably the same as on the album - i might be wrong as there might be more instruments in the mix - my first impression but i didn't compare the two mixes. vocal part comes in strange split stereo manner - freddie mckay's voice only on one side of the headphones. but what really bugs me is that the dub mix is more or less the same more or less dry instrumental mix (bass is heavy still) as the mix on the hard to get but not so interesting 7inch version. i expected a more spaced out, way heavier dubbed out mix. a "crashing dub", like the mix of rod taylor's "promised land". that mix is still the most dubbed out mix of this great rhythm available to my knowledge. BUT mystic eyes "judgment time" discomix is heavy and dreader than dread! i didn't know this mix before and it was not the reason for getting this 12inch but i'm glad i bought it. great fast forward stepper tune with a crashing dub. really crashing dub that is!
Last edited by capullo on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
capullo

Postby capullo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:22 pm

rod taylor - promised land repress is available on vinyl for a reasonable price. HEAVY!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Africa- ... se/7339599

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-I4XUz4skQ
capullo

Return to General discussion