Recent finds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Recent finds?

Postby jps » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 am

LP's

Rico Rodriguez - Man From Wareika (Blue Note) $20
Hugh Griffiths - Mr Walker (Tads) $13
The Paragons - Now (Starlight) $16

12's

Johnny Osbourne - 2YY's U.R. (Hot Disc) $5
Noel Gray - Badda Badda (Deep Groove Sounds) $3
Dennis Brown - Silhouettes / How Could I Let You Get Away (Crystal) $3
Gregory Isaacs - Tumbling Tears / How Can I Change My Mind (GG's) $5
Scion Sashay Success* - Pain-A-Back / My Love (Ashantites) $1

7's

Black Uhuru - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (Taxi) $4
jps

Postby minidub » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 am

some nice scores there jps!

love the scion sashay success "pain a back" -- and $1 for the 12" is well nice. hope it's in nice condition for you.

let me know what you think of the hugh griffiths LP and the noel gray 12" when you get a minute.

by the way, do you attend the SNWMF in Cali?

m.
minidub

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Augustus Pablo - Ital dub (trojan) a little worn and no cover - £12. What an album!

Mikey Dread - Dread at the Controls (Trojan) £15. Again, fantastic music from the Dread

Sly and Robbie - presents The Unmetered taxi rhythm album (Hitbound) - £15. One of my favourite riddims.

All in all a nice little haul - I only popped out for some bread! I better go easy this weekend.

all the best everyone.
Reggie Love

Postby Lemmy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Burning Spear -- Living Dub Vol. 1 (original Jamaican pressing), Good condition: $10 USD
Yabby You Meets Michael Prophet in Dub, Good condition: $10 USD
Fatman Presents Twin Spin Vol. 1: Dub Confrontation, VG+: $20 USD
Lee Perry -- Megaton Dub Vol. 2 (Seven Leaves), Good condition: $7 USD
Lemmy

Postby kalcidis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:47 pm

In a dub mode, Lemmy? :D Is that Twin Spin album the same as Fatman vs. Shaka Dub Confrontation on Live & Love? Great albums all of them!

Been on a chill mode with records. Went crazy last two months and spent more than I probably had spent on a full year when I was a student. So this month is only money on records I deem crucial (which is 100% of all records I want anyway).
kalcidis

Postby Lemmy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

kalcidis wrote:In a dub mode, Lemmy? :D Is that Twin Spin album the same as Fatman vs. Shaka Dub Confrontation on Live & Love? Great albums all of them!

It's an odd one -- something of a compilation: one side from Dub Confrontation, the other from the First, Second & Third Generation of Dub LP.
Lemmy

Postby BMC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Couple of nice records from stores in Amsterdam today:

I Roy - Doctor Fish (Hot Disc)
I Roy - Cancer Dub (Virgin)
Keith Hudson - Flesh Of My Skin, Blood Of My Blood (Atra - 80s repress)
Gregory Isaacs - For Everyone (Success)
Peter Ranking & General Lucky - Jah Standing Over Me (Silver Camel)
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby kalcidis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I got these two in the post today. Both at €12 each in unplayed condition:

E.T. Webster - Dread Nyahbinghi One (Twinkle 12") – Quite nice mid-90's Twinkle-production with the long-time Twinkle spar E.T. Nothing ground breaking but nice nonetheless.

Phillip Parkinson – Take Us Home (Twinkle 12")
– Brilliant Twinkle-stepper that has gone quite under the radar. Was talking to Skyjuice recently (who played this on his great show over at Dubdisco 45) about how I've been hunting it for years but never see it. So this made a perfect reward to the ending of a tiresome work week.
kalcidis

Postby jb welda » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:52 am

>I Roy - Cancer Dub (Virgin)

I have been listening to this lately and I was pretty impressed by how much I underrated it before now. Some really great dub/instrumental versions of not-so-common riddims and tunes. Great set...not sure the I Roy connection because it doesn't sound to me like the versions are of I Roy tracks but maybe he did record over them. Anyone know more history on this LP, is there a corresponding vocal/dj album?

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby BMC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:39 am

Yes jb, only played it once so far and highly enjoyed it. It's in great condition too. Haven't checked them back to back, but at least some of these dubs are from I Roy's World On Fire set.
BMC

Postby BMC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:11 am

Yes, just checked jb, 8 out of the 10 dubs on Cancer are from tracks of the World On Fire album. Almost in order too. Only know of one vocal companion next to the I Roy cut of the opening dub of this set, which is Sugar Minott's Row Mr Fisherman. At least I'm quite sure he uses this exact same take of that riddim on that one.
BMC

Postby jb welda » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks BMC, that pretty much explains it: I do not have and don't think I ever heard that I Roy set.

one thing I do remember hearing on there was the riddim track to that Natty Dread Christmas tune I have been loving the past couple years.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby shadrach » Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 am

kalcidis wrote:I got these two in the post today. Both at €12 each in unplayed condition:

E.T. Webster - Dread Nyahbinghi One (Twinkle 12") – Quite nice mid-90's Twinkle-production with the long-time Twinkle spar E.T. Nothing ground breaking but nice nonetheless.

Phillip Parkinson – Take Us Home (Twinkle 12")
– Brilliant Twinkle-stepper that has gone quite under the radar. Was talking to Skyjuice recently (who played this on his great show over at Dubdisco 45) about how I've been hunting it for years but never see it. So this made a perfect reward to the ending of a tiresome work week.

These must be from that new Greek seller on Discogs, a friend of mine mentioned that he had missed out on this exceptional occasion, he was still not over it after more than a week after his attempted buy!
shadrach

Postby kalcidis » Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 am

Two discos I bought on the record round this last saturday:
Family Man - Cobra Style (Fam's 12")
Barry Brown – I A Go Dread (Jammy's 12")

The store also had Vivian Jackon (Sic) Conquering Lion on a deep ridge and yellow Vivian Jackson label with 1977 as date. I haven't seen that issue before. NM condition but I lef' it since it was £70 and I've got the Ram-A-Dam edition on UK Lucky (+ the BAF 4xLP).

shadrach: You are correct. I hope your friend finds some solace that in fell into the hands of someone that will love and care for it... :wink:

I thought it was too good to be true or that a reissue had come but it is a too obscure disco to be reissued when there are other more obvious ones just waiting to be reissued. But I figured the gain would be greater than the loss in spending that amount so I went for it. Fortunately it was the real deal. Now I only need to find Stiffy Dread as well and I think I have a complete suite of those classic Twinkle 12" from the 70's and early 80's.
kalcidis

Postby shadrach » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 am

kalcidis wrote:Two discos I bought on the record round this last saturday:
Family Man - Cobra Style (Fam's 12")
Barry Brown – I A Go Dread (Jammy's 12")

The store also had Vivian Jackon (Sic) Conquering Lion on a deep ridge and yellow Vivian Jackson label with 1977 as date. I haven't seen that issue before. NM condition but I lef' it since it was £70 and I've got the Ram-A-Dam edition on UK Lucky (+ the BAF 4xLP).

shadrach: You are correct. I hope your friend finds some solace that in fell into the hands of someone that will love and care for it... :wink:

I thought it was too good to be true or that a reissue had come but it is a too obscure disco to be reissued when there are other more obvious ones just waiting to be reissued. But I figured the gain would be greater than the loss in spending that amount so I went for it. Fortunately it was the real deal. Now I only need to find Stiffy Dread as well and I think I have a complete suite of those classic Twinkle 12" from the 70's and early 80's.

Glad to hear your haul will be treasured appropiately Kalcidis! :D I've only recently started collecting those Twinkle twelves, that Stiffy and the Parkinson you scored seem to be the hardest ones to get by, especially when you're not prepared to spend several hundreds of pounds, so you definitely did a very lucky shot there!
shadrach

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion