British Reggae Top 20 Submit Your Favourite British Reggae T

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: British Reggae Top 20 Submit Your Favourite British Regg

Postby Marvin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Always been fond of the Alton Ellis backed by Aswad recut of Diverse Doctine... must be British :lol:
Marvin

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Being born in Britain does not mean you are British. The whole topic is a divide & rule on labels yet none of these labels refer to record labels.

In the USA black people are called Afro-American not American. Which is another label for African.

Afro-British is not a label used in Britain, just British to get the point across on British Slavery.
Dread Archive

Postby johnnyB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Most of the above plus:

Capital Letters-Smoking my Ganja
Dub Judah-From The Foundation
Steel Pulse-Handsworth Revolution

...and many more!
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Everything on the Island label, Blue Beat label, Trojan label, Jah Shaka label the British Zulu Warrior.
Dread Archive

Postby Tune In 2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm

As far as i overstand and this taken from the voting page the criteria is that,

"British refers to a British-born artist or an act that was UK-based for an extended period of their career when the recording was made."

hope that clears up any confusion
Tune In 2

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Dread Archive wrote:Being born in Britain does not mean you are British. The whole topic is a divide & rule on labels yet none of these labels refer to record labels.

In the USA black people are called Afro-American not American. Which is another label for African.

Afro-British is not a label used in Britain, just British to get the point across on British Slavery.

Yeah it's "Black British or "Afro-Carribean". I identify with neither but I might identify with "African Jamaican British with a touch of European". I hate the term "ethnic minority". I mean, no one describes white people as "ethnic majority", they describe them as white people. Are we not people as well?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Jah Shaka seems to be known as a British Artist on Wiki - The British Zulu Warrior that helped the British against the Zulus.

What stupidness are the BMC running in their polls & copywrite laws on YT because they don't own the rights of JA reggae tunes. Go to Copywrite school on YouTube BMC & take Merlin with you. Stick with ripping off Bob Marley. By the way BMC Bob Marley is a British Artist as well as Lee Perry.
Dread Archive

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Dread Archive wrote:Everything on the Island label, Blue Beat label, Trojan label.

Many collectors only want Jamaican music on the British labels like Blue Beat, Bamboo, Doctor Bird, etc. Oh the irony.
Ranking Glasses

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Inyaki wrote:Is not 'british reggae'. Like Dennis Brown voicing over Aswad's Love Fire is not 'jamaican'.

Promised Land (Simba 12" 1979) came first. Love Fire was on New Chapter (1981).
drwatts53

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:20 pm

drwatts53 wrote:
Inyaki wrote:Is not 'british reggae'. Like Dennis Brown voicing over Aswad's Love Fire is not 'jamaican'.

They are both on UK releases but the Simba label one sounds like it was recorded in JA. There is no info on the label on where it was recorded.
Dread Archive

Postby Inyaki » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Dread Archive wrote:
drwatts53 wrote:

They are both on UK releases but the Simba label one sounds like it was recorded in JA. There is no info on the label on where it was recorded.

Dennis Brown cut was released in 83. He voiced it that year in London, were it was recprded and mixed.
Inyaki

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Dread Archive wrote:As with the Windrush generation are they now British & now not British. Soon all British reggae will be called Brexit Reggae.

If it was put "Top 20 Reggae Tunes Made In Britain" then it makes more sense.

Irie Dread Archive this quote make me laugh BREXIT REGGAE.

I really think this thread need to be renamed something else after reading all the quotes left :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Dennis Brown & Aswad - Promised Land was also released on Yvonne's Special JA label on 12" & 7" in 1983.
Dread Archive

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm

drwatts53 wrote: Promised Land (Simba 12" 1979) came first. Love Fire was on New Chapter (1981).

Inyaki wrote: Dennis Brown cut was released in 83. He voiced it that year in London, were it was recprded and mixed.

I got the dates from whosampledwho, but you're probably right - there's no date on the Simba label. Thanks for the info.

PS As further circumstantial evidence, Promised Land was on the Revolution album (1985). Also note that the Promised Land on the B&F compilation of the same name (covering 1975-1979) is not the Aswad-backed track, but better known as Lately Girl (as on the Wolf and Leopards album).
drwatts53

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Love Fire definitely came first because I remember when it fisrt came out and rushing to the record shop to buy the LP. Never heard a rhythm like that before.
Ranking Glasses

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion