Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Postby yms » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

They absolutely last more than 1 or 2 years
yms

Postby jb welda » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Well I have a box of four or five used fairly high end home audio cartridges, most with only a year or two on them, and will sell them for a good price. Will not guarantee they work nor come up to manufacturers specification, and I have used a scope on all of them at one time or another, but hey if they do not wear out it is probably just me not knowing how to interpret oscilloscope output, and I am sure they will work just fine. I have always been a bit too fussy about sound. Let me know.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:32 pm

jb welda wrote:Well I have a box of four or five used fairly high end home audio cartridges, most with only a year or two on them, and will sell them for a good price. Will not guarantee they work nor come up to manufacturers specification, and I have used a scope on all of them at one time or another, but hey if they do not wear out it is probably just me not knowing how to interpret oscilloscope output, and I am sure they will work just fine. I have always been a bit too fussy about sound. Let me know.

one love
jb

Thanks for the offer Jb i would rather get stylus and cart together am going to get temporary ones until can get a deal on some good ones.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby jb welda » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 pm

I was mostly kidding jah vaults, I would not sell anyone worn out cartridges unless they insisted that they were good despite what I know to be true

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby azala » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am

One good solution, that I personnaly chosen, is SHURE M97XE. It has a pretty good quality sound, is not so expensive, and needs a low tracking force (1,25 gr recommended), that means almost no wear on vynil but a sensitivity on rumble (which I don't care because I am not a sound system selecter).
I got a pair of it 3 years ago, in replacement of Shure M-44 ones, and I am not desapointed, especially for their more accurate trebble.
Strictly yard music
azala

Postby soul rebel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Seeing as the "tip" of needle is diamond, and records are plastic, it would follow that a needle would take a very long time to "wear down".
Just as it's most likely a myth that you need to "wear in" a needle before it sounds good.
But I may very well be wrong. I just base these thoughts on common sense.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:08 pm

soul rebel wrote:Seeing as the "tip" of needle is diamond, and records are plastic, it would follow that a needle would take a very long time to "wear down".
Just as it's most likely a myth that you need to "wear in" a needle before it sounds good.

Good point Soul Rebel. But these stylus makers must be using the cheapest quality or maybe even substituted diamonds to tip some of there tips in cheapest styluses. So we can just speculate as to what may happen to manufacturing of cartridges. But Maybe playing pristine presses and tonearms weighted correctly with aligned heavy duty cartridges and needles with real heavy duty pristine diamond tips then Maybe needle and cartridge could last a lifetime.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Do a search for a website called vinyl engine and spend some time over there reading their forums.
You can learn a lot re mm and mc carts, styli, turntables etc...
yms

Postby adrians wall » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:56 pm

jah_vaults wrote:
soul rebel wrote:Seeing as the "tip" of needle is diamond, and records are plastic, it would follow that a needle would take a very long time to "wear down".

Good point Soul Rebel. But these stylus makers must be using the cheapest quality or maybe even substituted diamonds to tip some of there tips in cheapest styluses. So we can just speculate as to what may happen to manufacturing of cartridges. But Maybe playing pristine presses and tonearms weighted correctly with aligned heavy duty cartridges and needles with real heavy duty pristine diamond tips then Maybe needle and cartridge could last a lifetime.

Styli definitely wear down, I have a microscope specifically for checking styli and they do get damaged, it is not so noticeable on conical styli but on fancy shaped ones like Microline or Shibata you can see the damage happen pretty quickly, especially if records are dirty.
adrians wall

Postby jah_vaults » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 pm

When changing the headshell wire leads which plug into cartridge and also headshell the connectors must be put the correct way around . I am not talking about the colour codes of the wires which must also be correct. One end of the wire with the tiny connectors attached has thinner connectors then the other. You must ascertain which connector end plugs into headshell connectors and which connector end plugs into the cartridge as there are 2 connectors on this small wire one connector on each end. THE PROFESSIONALS DON'T TELL YOU THIS I DON'T THINK MOST OF THEM KNOW THIS EXCEPT FOR A FEW. If you don't put these leads on correctly and tightly by figuring this out first before assembly you will receive feedback noises when touching the turntables and tonearm and even maybe banging noises if there is heavy movement while records are playing which is being made through the loose connections with the connectors not being plugged in correct way round making loose connection from the cartridge to headshell wiring especially if you are attempting to do this yourself with tweezers etc. No sound engineer or professional seems to have mentioned the fact that the cable and very small metal clips on both ends of wire to be plugged in are different sized tiny pre crimped connectors on both ends. THESE SHOULD NOT BE TAMPERED WITH. ALSO THIS SIZE DIFFERENCE IS VERY HARD TO SEE BY VISUAL EYESIGHT. Hope this helps anybody with feedback issues from needle stylee and cartridge and tonearm feedback. All soundman MUST check these cartridge wires connectors are tight fit if not they are inserted the wrong way round causing loose connection and feedback and tonearm feedback. So many videos people make regarding these wires and cartridge alignment etc but nobody has actually figured this out and made proper video regarding this. Shows how very important this is and you MUST make sure you plug wires in correct ends otherwise you have loose fitting cartridge headhell connector wires which may look correctly fitted and seem slighlty tight. Also some people try to make connectors right size with toothpicks and then squeezing pliers is incorrect and connectors will still not be a tight fit unless this procedure is done properly. These connectors are diferent size factory pre crimped at both ends do not use toothpicks etc to try to resize if you can't figure out which way round they should actually connect this will also cause needle feedback tonearm and other feedback sound quality issues.
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 am

No they're not, all the headshell leads I've ever had have had the same connector crimps at both ends.

Sometimes they get slackened as the tone arm pins are sometimes fatter than the cartridge pins.
yms

Postby jah_vaults » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:41 pm

yms wrote:No they're not, all the headshell leads I've ever had have had the same connector crimps at both ends.

Sometimes they get slackened as the tone arm pins are sometimes fatter than the cartridge pins.

Technics sl headshell leads come like this pre crimped different sized connectors on each end.
So this must be standard on all headshell wires.Seems somebody was trying to wire headshell wires so here is the only quote i found confirming this.

"yes basic error it seems.

The wires have 2 different sizes of crimp connectors. 1 larger, 1 smaller. This is needed as the pins on cart and headshell are different sizes. Think the pins of cart are fatter."
Last edited by jah_vaults on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Just checked mine SL-1200MK5 and connectors are the same both side. Checked 2 sets of other wires I have, not sure which brand, and connectors are the same both sides.
yms

Postby jah_vaults » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 pm

yms wrote:Just checked mine SL-1200MK5 and connectors are the same both side. Checked 2 sets of other wires I have, not sure which brand, and connectors are the same both sides.

Yes YMS the connectors are same on both sides but the connectors are crimped at different sizes on both ends of the wire
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 am

Evidence required JV. Show me something to back your statement up.
yms

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion