AUGUSTUS PABLO - SPIRIT OF UMOJA

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

AUGUSTUS PABLO - SPIRIT OF UMOJA

Postby TruthTown » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 am

Just listening my copy yesterday, I was wondering if its the original. Anyone can tell me which is the first press (OG) of this record?

I see 2 versions in Discogs:

White label
https://www.discogs.com/The-Tamlins-Aug ... se/2963295

Green label
https://www.discogs.com/Tamlins-Augustu ... se/2262465

In discogs, the green label one is described as the REISSUE, buuut, if I search in Popsike, it seems that the green one is the most expensive (the first press?)

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch. ... c=&x=0&y=0

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!
TruthTown

Re: AUGUSTUS PABLO - SPIRIT OF UMOJA

Postby jb welda » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Seems to me that is backwards. the white label one looks like what was reissued back within the past ten years (don't recall exactly) while the green label one I don't recall seeing, which would probably mean it was the original issue.

that would explain the pricing difference, as you concluded. I cannot imagine the reissue being "worth" more than the original

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby TruthTown » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm

OK, I see...but if you go to discogs, you will see that the green label one is much cheaper than the other. You can find it for 5 pounds, being 16 pounds the most expensive copy...On th eother hand, the white label one goes for 80 pounds...Its funny, but I have more than one copy of this record and would like to sell it, so I need to know which is the OG release to put a reasonable price

Thanks for your reply
TruthTown

Postby jb welda » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 am

is it possible neither of these are "OG"?

because now that I think of it, there may have been two reissues of all that DEB catalog. I may have bought the first wave but then possibly a second wave with the green label?

The true "OG" would be from late 70s or early 80s I would think. Both of the possible reissues I am dreaming up were from the early 2000s if I remember right. And I well may not.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby TruthTown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 am

OK, thanks!!!
TruthTown

Postby skunkride » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am

jb welda wrote:Seems to me that is backwards. the white label one looks like what was reissued back within the past ten years

The white label version of this 12" is a vintage pressing - the 2000s represses state Badda Music & look modern, like this one for example :

https://www.discogs.com/Freddie-McKay-M ... ase/672913
skunkride

Postby Werner » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

The green label version you linked has a matrix "BMDEB", which seems to suggest it's a Badda Music repress? Although the label doesn't explicitly state it.
Werner

Postby marko » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am

I don't actually have this on 12", have the tune on a Ja DEB 7" but I have plenty of other DEB 12"s. From what I can tell the green DEB labels were used for the first few 12" releases (not the BMDEB catalogue numbered copies obviously) and the white DEB labels were progressively used for the remainder of the catalogue. I would therefore guess that the Spirit of Umoja was repressed on the white DEB label and the green label copy came first.
marko

Postby TruthTown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have other DEB 12"s with green labels that are represses, and matrix have the BM written...2000s reissues. This one for example

https://www.discogs.com/Dennis-Brown-Oh ... se/1575683

(and again, they describe the white as the first press!! with the green, being both as first or very early presses,,...then the green with the BM the 2000's repress)

I think that the first green label and the white one were pressed with same stampers.

Matrix / Runout: DEB+007+A
Matrix / Runout: DEB+007+B OR

Then the more actual repress (green with BM):

Matrix / Runout: BMDEB-007-A
Matrix / Runout: BMDEB-007-B

Conclusion: there is a version of this release that is not appearing in Discogs, the green one with the DEB+007+A matrix.
TruthTown

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 pm

TruthTown wrote:Conclusion: there is a version of this release that is not appearing in Discogs, the green one with the DEB+007+A matrix.

Or the one with that matrix is the one pictured in the listing, but someone else has erronously added the matrices for a later green label Badda pressing.

Does your version have the exact same labels? In that case I propose that you correct the Discogs listing.
99thfloor

Postby TruthTown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am

99thfloor wrote:
TruthTown wrote:Conclusion: there is a version of this release that is not appearing in Discogs, the green one with the DEB+007+A matrix.

Or the one with that matrix is the one pictured in the listing, but someone else has erronously added the matrices for a later green label Badda pressing.

Does your version have the exact same labels? In that case I propose that you correct the Discogs listing.

You are right. That pic must be the OG one green label, but someone added the matrix of the BM repress creating the mess. My copies have the white label. I will correct it anyway.
TruthTown

Postby Werner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

TruthTown wrote:
99thfloor wrote:

You are right. That pic must be the OG one green label, but someone added the matrix of the BM repress creating the mess. My copies have the white label. I will correct it anyway.

Sorry to be a fundamentalist, but you should only correct it IF you actually have access to the record to verify that this hypothesis is correct.
Werner

Postby 99thfloor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Werner wrote:Sorry to be a fundamentalist, but you should only correct it IF you actually have access to the record to verify that this hypothesis is correct.

Yes, of course, that is why I asked if TruthTown has a record that matches, if not then it should be left as is for the time being. If there is any doubt there could instead be a new listing created, but not if one doesn't have the record, or at least knows for sure that the information is correct. Still, it seems to be fairly uncontroversial though to assume that the labels and matrices in the existing listing don't match, no?
99thfloor

Postby TruthTown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Maybe you are right, and i shouldn't correct it. Indeed, now I know the history of this release and its versions, and its not going to be my problem anymore, but don't you think is it possible, right and useful to correct a database if you spent enough time searching for info in the web and you got enough proofs and evidences (pics, etc...) in more than one forum/pages/databases/etc? Maybe it breaks the rules of the database...But think about it, rules were broken yet (wrong info in this release)
TruthTown

Postby Werner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 am

TruthTown wrote:Maybe you are right, and i shouldn't correct it. Indeed, now I know the history of this release and its versions, and its not going to be my problem anymore, but don't you think is it possible, right and useful to correct a database if you spent enough time searching for info in the web and you got enough proofs and evidences (pics, etc...) in more than one forum/pages/databases/etc? Maybe it breaks the rules of the database...But think about it, rules were broken yet (wrong info in this release)

Yes, I agree with you in principle. But, one of the reasons that errors do get into the database is actually that people put in information that they *assume* is correct. That is why Discogs has a very clear rule that says "only add/change information if you have the actual record". What you can do I think is vote for the current entry as being incorrect, in which case I believe the person who submitted the entry should get a message. Or add a comment to the "edit release" page.
Werner

Return to General discussion